The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation: Fabricator
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
- Create exhibition displays, re-fabrications and specialty projects (including custom elements for office furniture and build-outs) through use of specialized metalworking.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of the Frank Lloyd Wright building and all other SRGM facilities.
- Under the direction of the Director, Fabrication, steward exhibits and build projects from start to finish through prototyping and fabrication processes to testing and installation.
- Versed in tool and equipment maintenance.
- Adhere to OSHA standards for safety involving equipment and construction.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA/BS degree required. MFA preferred. Over 5 years of metalworking experience required.
- Must be skilled in GMAW, GTAW, SMAW, and OAW operations in a variety of metals.
- Must possess a general knowledge of wood working techniques
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and schedule work to ensure optimum efficiency, quality, and completion on schedule.
- Ability to develop sketches and detailed drawings.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a team as well as to communicate and coordinate effectively with team leaders, internal departments, and shop craftspeople.
- Thorough understanding of the methods and specific equipment required for the fabrication trade. Skilled in the use and care of standard tools.
- Ability to analyze and anticipate details of assigned projects and to make recommendations as to materials and tools needed to bring projects to completion within budget constraints.
- Strong artistic background, with the ability to understand a designer’s or artist’s intent and execute shop drawings accordingly.
- Ability to work under pressure with flexibility.
- General expertise with all hand tools and pneumatics as well as spray booth/finishing techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Experience in the following areas is a plus: CNC operation, plastic fabrication.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, visit: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=NY227