The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation: Exhibitions and Collections Information Assistant
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking an Exhibitions and Collections Information Assistant to join the Manager of Exhibitions and Collections Information in the oversight and support of the institution’s centralized collection, exhibitions, and loans database: The Museum System (TMS) by Gallery Systems.
Working closely with staff across departments, this position contributes to the development of data management procedures, maintains and improves content, and provides training and assistance to all users.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, through exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim network that began in the 1970s when the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, was joined by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, has since expanded to include the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (opened 1997) and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi (currently in development). Looking to the future, the Guggenheim Foundation continues to forge international collaborations that take contemporary art, architecture, and design beyond the walls of the museum. More information about the foundation can be found at guggenheim.org.
- Train museum staff and interns in basic and specialized use of the institution’s centralized collection, exhibitions, and loans database: The Museum System (TMS) by Gallery Systems; provide responsive troubleshooting assistance with search, navigation, and reporting issues; create instructional documentation as necessary while working closely with the Manager of Exhibitions and Collections Information
- Monitor incoming loan and object record data entry for special exhibitions
- Ensure data integrity through daily review of audit reports
- Engage in various constituent record management and cataloging campaigns, including enacting anonymity and associations among records, artist birth and death city geographies, location authority and address management, and linked data initiatives; and researching and consolidating duplicate constituent records
- Oversee research and record edits to verify robust representation of the Guggenheim’s exhibition and loan history in the database
- Organize network image folders and update TMS media records to support broad alignment of media content between MediaBeacon, the museums digital asset management system, and TMS.
- Review Crystal Reports to identify underused and redundant reports for deletion
- Enter collection, exhibitions, and loans data as needed
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred), preferably in Art History, library/information studies, museum studies or related field
- Proven expertise with a collections management system, preferably The Museum System (TMS)
- Demonstrated familiarity with documentation standards and digital asset management standards
- Ability to work independently on concurrent projects
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, writing, proofreading and analytical skills, with close attention to detail as merits maintaining the system of record for the museum’s collection
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life insurance, disability and pension plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
To apply, visit: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=NY223