The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation: Exhibition Designer
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Working independently, under the supervision of the Director, Exhibition Management and/or other management, and a member of the Exhibition Design Department, the Exhibition Designer is responsible for the design, coordination, and implementation of exhibition designs within the museum’s galleries. The Exhibition Designer is also responsible for supporting senior staff with large-scale exhibition designs from conception to implementation within the Guggenheim Museum network.
SKILL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience
- Professional experience with millwork detailing, material specifications, and the production of Construction Documents.
- Advanced 2D drafting skills (preferably Vectorworks), 3D modeling and rendering skills, (preferably Rhino and V-Ray), and advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Facility with building both study and finish models.
- Familiarity with DoB variances, TPA submissions, and public safety requirements a plus.
- Demonstrated interest in fine art, particularly modern and contemporary.
- Ability to think abstractly and design creatively within distinct, landmarked architectural environment.
- Excellent concern for detail while working within fast-paced project timelines.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Exceptional file organization skills
- Ability to collaborate with diverse implementation team is essential.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to be proactive, use independent judgment and initiative.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Consider innovative, conceptual, and holistic design solutions for temporary exhibitions, including a wide variety of programming, space, and object conditions.
- Coordinate implementation of exhibition design in collaboration with exhibition design team, curatorial staff, and outside designers (as required) to determine all aspects of the gallery environment including layout of art work, wall construction, custom casework, finishes etc.
- Collaborate with senior exhibition design staff on large-scale exhibitions at various Guggenheim locations worldwide as well as touring exhibitions.
- Produce design renderings, study maquettes/models, and other presentation materials to convey design intent and exhibition scope to curators, artists, directors, and various other project constituents.
- Create architectural drawing sets for all phases of designs.
- Communicate design ideas and information graphically to help establish design direction, and make presentations of ideas to various project stakeholders
- Interface with the various departments of Production, Art Preparation, Construction, Fabrication, Graphic Design, Facilities, Visitor Experience, Security, Fire Safety, Lighting, Multi-Media Arts, Education, and Special Events to ensure exhibition design meets Museum standards for fine art display, safety, and overall visitor experience.
- Manage the production of models and maquettes as well as prototypes and mock-ups for individual exhibition designs. Assist senior staff with on-site mockups, installation support and documentation as needed.
- Work closely with the Fabrication and Construction departments to ensure that design elements are executed according to plan and budget.
- Conduct field surveys of galleries as needed. Maintain departmental digital archive of CAD files including plans, sections and 3D model.
- Assist in sourcing vendors, soliciting quotes, obtaining material samples. Help maintain material library.
- Prepare exhibition budget projections and cost analysis reports as directed and with support as required.
- Manage relevant project invoices
WORK DEMANDS & ENVIRONMENT:
- Occasionally work may be conducted outdoors, exposure to varied weather conditions.
- Ability to work occasional nights, weekends, etc.
- Ability to lift at least 20lbs.
- Ability to travel within the metropolitan area as required to perform the above duties at any of the Guggenheim’s owned or leased properties upon request.
- BA or MA in Architecture or 3D design field
To apply, visit: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=NY270