The Menil Collection: Controller
Department: Finance and Accounting
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
The Controller supervises the recording and reporting of the Menil Foundation’s financial activity and monitors system of internal controls to safeguard the Foundation’s assets.
- Supervise the maintenance of the financial records of the Foundation for accuracy, completeness, and documentation. These records include, but are not limited to: investments, banking, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and benefits, real estate activity, fixed assets, budgets and budget variances.
- Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Review and prepare reports of financial activity to the Board and internal managers.
- Provide financial information and reports, as requested.
- Review and prepare reports and supporting schedules for audit. Coordinate with auditors.
- Review and prepare reports and supporting schedules for tax returns.
- Review and prepare grant reports, ensuring compliance with grant agreements.
- Administer the use of accounting software.
- Perform certain treasury functions relating to authorized disbursements of cash.
- Assist with budget preparation and consolidation.
- Establish, document, and implement accounting policies and procedures.
- Attend Finance and Audit Committee Meetings.
In collaboration with the Menil Chief Financial Officer:
- Forecast and manage cash flow and monitor controls over cash receipts and disbursements
- Review bank/investment cash accounts daily and record activity
- Transfer funds between cash accounts according to cash needs
- Transfer funds for investment capital calls
- Act as co-signer on checks
- Co-sign wire transfers for payment of invoices
- Prepare, review, and analyze, for the Chief Financial Officer’s review, monthly financial reports to ensure that the Foundation’s financial condition is in accordance with the guidelines established by the Director and the Board.
- Direct preparation for annual audit and other audit activities. Coordinate issuance of the audited financial statements
- Establish, for the Chief Financial Officer’s review, accounting control over the Foundation’s restricted and endowment funds.
- Manage preparation of annual filings of retirement and welfare benefit plans. Manage preparation of financial statements and audit of retirement plan.
- Continue personal professional development.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, CPA preferred.
- Five or more years’ experience as a controller, preferably with a nonprofit, museum, or other cultural institution.
- Proficiency in fund accounting and demonstrated knowledge of related non-profit tax laws/regulations.
- Technologically savvy; advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office software applications.
- Experience using financial management systems and strong project management skills.
- Experience in or working knowledge of Blackbaud’s nonprofit accounting software, Financial Edge, desired.
- Must have experience supervising others.
- Must have the ability to collaborate and engage with individuals at all levels of the organization.
Salary and benefits competitive and commensurate with experience. Please send resume, cover letter, and salary expectation to: Director of Human Resources, The Menil Collection, 1519 Branard Street, Houston, Texas 77006. Application materials may also be emailed to: email@example.com.