The J. Paul Getty Trust: Software Engineer
At Getty Digital, we are re-imagining how we create meaningful digital experiences for our research, publications, and projects in the study, conservation and preservation of art and shared cultural heritage. Our digital tools support scholars and researchers to explore the complex information held across the Getty and to share their work with the world online. We encourage the public to explore and engage with the outcomes of these activities through online experiences and digital publications.
The Getty Digital Interpretative Development Team is primarily responsible for the Getty.edu website, digital publications and rich media experiences. We are seeking an experienced software developer with a passion for web based publications for a two-year limited term contract to work with us on our digital publication tool, Quire. Quire is a static build tool for long-form scholarly publications with a focus on art historical, conservation, and preservation research. We are a highly collaborative team where thoughtful communication; co-working sessions, code reviews, and pair programming are common practices.
As a Software Engineer, you will report to the team lead, and will be responsible for working with that individual and the rest of the team to help plan improvements and implement stable features of the Quire build tool, the Getty.edu redesign, and web software initiatives across The Getty. In this role you will collaborate with a talented team of software developers, subject matter experts, UX researchers, designers to build experiences that present the work done across The Getty with the larger world.
Our preferred software stack is Vue.js for user interfaces with data provided by RESTful APIs served by implementations in Python. The Getty is committed to using Linked Open Data across our architecture and the use of IIIF for access to rich media assets.
The Getty is among the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world. Scientists, curators, librarians, archivists, and academics are drawn here by a shared dedication to furthering the study of art and advancing the fields of art history, conservation, and cultural heritage preservation. We offer excellent benefits, and a strong commitment to balancing work and personal life.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Implement and maintain features of the Getty’s digital scholarly publication tool, Quire
- Assist in the technical implementation of the Getty.edu site redesign
- Participate in the day-to-day work of software development and testing
- Perform code reviews and provide feedback to peer developers
- Follow Getty policies and best practices for software development
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or a combination of education and relevant experience
- 2-5 years software development experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An interest in the work of cultural heritage and digital publications
- 2-3 years software development experience
- Experience with component-based web development (Vue.js, NPM, and Webpack)
- Experience implementing visual design systems in HTML & CSS
- Experience with accessibility considerations for web software
- A practice of unit testing and end-to-end testing web applications
- Experience with static-site generation tools
- Experience with version control using Git and GitHub
- Solid understanding of HTTP and experience using REST APIs
- A working knowledge of server-side application development and coding practices
- Interpersonal skills such as empathy, diplomacy, and tact
- Intellectual generosity, humility, and curiosity
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Hugo and Golang HTML templates
- Expertise with design systems and digital typography
- Experience with scholarly publications and archival considerations
- Experience with Python and Flask or Django
- Experience developing data-driven web applications
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment using Docker and AWS
- A deep understanding of museum, library, and archival practices, systems, and metadata standards
To apply, visit: https://jobs-getty.icims.com/jobs/3514/software-engineer/job