The J. Paul Getty Trust: Research Assistant
Conducts research, content development and/or editorial functions to support photography curator working on acquisitions, publications, and exhibitions of South and Central Asian photography. Assists with all aspects of preparation of research and exhibitions, particular online; may work with original materials in special collections; interacts (primarily virtually) with curatorial staff and special collections staff, digital media management, and Communications. Specifically conducts research and assists with diverse tasks in preparation for the exhibition “At the Crossroads: Qandahar in Images and Empires” and a research project on 19th-century French photographers in India.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Applies advanced knowledge of research procedures and protocols to assignments of moderate complexity, including extended online searching
- Drafts labels and texts: performs basic editing functions
Compilation of object lists; object tracking; taking measurements; ordering photography; preparing digital surrogates; creating and managing TMS (collection management system) records; research and compilation of collection information for exhibition texts
- Master’s degree, or preferably Ph.D. in South Asian studies. Knowledge of Afghan culture desirable.
- Familiarity with online databases for research
- 3-5 years research experience
- Good writing skills
- Foreign language skills essential, especially French; and Pashto and Dari, desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a timely manner
- Ability to build relationships, collaborate and work on teams
- Ability to set and meet deadlines for oneself
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe software suites preferred