The J. Paul Getty Trust: Digital Content Editor
The Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) is dedicated to finding ways to improve the conservation of the world’s cultural heritage—its art objects, museum collections, historic buildings, and archaeological sites. We are located at the Getty Center in Los Angeles, and our work often takes us to heritage sites across the globe including locations in South America, Asia, and the Middle East, where we work in partnership with heritage professionals from the region. Our staff come from diverse disciplines including architecture, archaeology, conservation, information science, chemistry, engineering, operations management, and communications.
We are looking for a Digital Content Editor to support our presence on the Getty website (getty.edu/conservation). Reporting to the Senior Content Specialist you will be responsible for editing, writing, and maintaining website content that reflects the depth and impact of the Institute’s work and engages our primary audience of cultural heritage professionals. In this position within the Institute’s Communications department, you will play a pivotal role in the Getty’s multiyear website redesign project.
Major Job Responsibilities
You will work across the Institute with subject area experts, project managers, and other stakeholders in the developmental editing and/or writing of new website text that aligns with the Institute’s mission and with the Getty’s digital content strategy. You will also be responsible for identifying, sourcing, and licensing visual assets to accompany written web content.
In conjunction with the Getty-wide web redesign project, you will review legacy website content, editing and/or rewriting as needed to conform to new structured content templates and to insure alignment with current digital strategy. You will work directly in the Getty’s content management system to create, edit, and maintain content assets. You will assist with migrating website images from current content management system to the Getty’s new digital asset management system, insuring all assets have proper metadata.
All aspects of the work require regular collaboration and communication with a broad range of staff, management of multiple content projects, and responsibility for meeting deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 5+ years of experience
- Demonstrated experience managing complex editorial projects in web-based environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong editing skills with demonstrated ability to transform complex and difficult information into concise, engaging, and accurate copy
- Strong writing ability, with facility for both informational and narrative content
- Ability to determine key takeaways in dense or specialized text and position them compellingly
- Experience working with subject matter experts and stakeholders on content development
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills
- Experience working in accordance with organization-wide digital content strategy
- Understanding of structured content
- Ability to develop and manage complex project and editorial schedules
- Ability to perform rights research, license content, and negotiate and oversee licensing details
- Understanding of UX disciplines including information architecture, user research, and user-centered design
- Skills in digital asset management, including creating and maintaining asset libraries, folders, tags, and metadata across systems
- Ability to work with image and video files (psd, eps, jpg, png, gif, mp4, mov) to output needed formats and crops of still and moving images
- Experience using headless content management system desirable
- Experience using Google Analytics to develop and track website metrics desirable
- Bilingual skills are highly desirable
All candidates must apply online. Please be prepared to upload your cover letter and resume when prompted to do so by the online application system. Candidates who successfully complete the online application process will receive an automated message via email. If you have questions about the Digital Content Editor position or the recruiting process, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is November 13, 2020.
To apply, visit: https://jobs-getty.icims.com/jobs/3620/job