The Broad: Curatorial Assistant
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Broad is seeking a limited-term Curatorial Assistant to support collection research and maintenance, collection installations, and special exhibitions. Reporting to the Curator and Publications Manager and Curator and Exhibitions Manager, the Curatorial Assistant performs administrative and research tasks related to the Broad collection and the planning and implementing of exhibitions that will open to the public in 2022 and spring 2023.
- Conducts research, maintains checklists, and writes object labels for installations of collection works in The Broad’s 3rd floor skylit galleries with the Curators.
- Develops biographical timelines, conducts research, and maintains checklists for 1st-floor special exhibitions with the Curators.
- Assists with loan correspondence and tracking, exhibition production, and installation with the Curator and Exhibitions Manager and Registrar.
- Contributes research, writing, and editing and assists with image permissions and all other tasks related to The Broad publications with the Curator and Publications Manager.
- Under supervision of Curators, writes and presents interpretive content on collection artists and artworks and on artists in consideration for acquisition.
- Develops training materials for Visitor Experience team members on special exhibitions with the Curators.
- Gives tours of The Broad 3rd floor skylit galleries and 1st floor special exhibitions as assigned.
- Revises and updates website content as assigned.
- Facilitates outgoing loan process including generating acceptance or declination letters with the Director’s Office.
- Conducts research on collection works including updating exhibition histories in Embark with the Curators.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History, Art, Curatorial Studies, Museum Studies, or related field; a proven record of research, writing, and production preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in modern and contemporary art; commitment to expanding art historical narratives to become more diverse and inclusive.
- Ability to conduct, analyze, and organize primary and secondary research.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to write for a public audience and support the museum’s voice and style.
- Exceptional attention to detail with proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to creatively troubleshoot, think critically, work independently, and effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (primarily Illustrator and Photoshop) a plus.
- Basic knowledge of Embark, TMS, or other collections management database a plus.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or another language a plus.
- Physical demands: Work with books, files, and computers. Additional movement through galleries during tours, installations, and work related to interpretive content.
- Work environment: This position is temporarily remote and involves both remote work (from home) and onsite work as needed. Open office floorplan with collaborative environment.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR MUSEUM STAFF
- Approach work with integrity and honesty.
- Support and demonstrate the museum’s culture of developing a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment for staff, contract staff, vendors, and visitors.
- Demonstrate and practice cultural awareness/sensitivity to all programs and services the museum provides.
- All employees must comply with The Broad’s COVID-19 vaccine policy. All newly hired staff must show proof of their COVID-19 vaccination within 45 days of hire.
- Adhere to all safety measures and guidelines.
- Ability to wear a mask during your scheduled work shifts.
- Ability to adhere to a health screen in compliance with health and safety guidelines as outlined by LA County Department of Public Health.
- Must adhere to COVID-19 policies and procedures.
The Curatorial Assistant position is a limited-term position through spring 2023 and will be scheduled to work 32-36 hours each week. The Curatorial Assistant must have the ability to work flexible hours on occasion to support team/museum priorities, needs, and events.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$27 per hour. This position is eligible for medical, vision, dental, and vacation benefits.
To apply, visit: https://www.thebroad.org/employment/curatorial-assistant