The Barnes Foundation: Director of Marketing and Social Media
Description: The Director of Marketing and Social Media leads the strategy, development, and implementation of the Barnes Foundation’s integrated advertising/marketing/social media plan to support earned and contributed revenue initiatives, retain and grow audiences, and increase brand awareness for the institution. This position reports to the Chief of Business Strategy and Analytics partners with the Director of Communications to ensure that content development plus media outreach and partnerships are consistent across all media vehicles within the overall marketing communications plan. This role also supervises two full-time staff: Marketing Manager and Social Media Coordinator and is responsible for their day-to-day work and for providing coaching, feedback, and opportunities for professional growth.
This position provides guidance and leadership across a variety of institutional initiatives and strategic goals, helping to shape organizational messaging that drives revenue and/or audiences across the Barnes. Working with the Chief of Business Strategy and Analytics, this position maximizes the revenue and audience potential of the Barnes existing online initiatives and participates in the planning and execution of new initiatives. Lastly, the Director plays a key role in a newly formed Analytics function that collects, analyzes, and makes decisions based on the institution’s data.
Established as an educational institution, the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more.
The Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and related high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
Job Specific Competencies:
· Leads the development, execution, and analysis of advertising/marketing/social media campaigns, including negotiating media and trade contracts to support earned and contributed revenue goals as well as audience retention and development.
· Develops and refines the foundation’s overall brand strategy to direct consistent messaging and positioning across all media and platforms. Works with Design and Editorial team to ensure that the Barnes’s visual identity across all marketing and advertising assets meet graphic and editorial standards.
· Leads partnership with media agency to develop, execute and analyze results of annual and long-range media plan and advertising campaigns.
· Leads the development and implementation of SEO/SEM, social media, and e-mail marketing automation campaigns.
· Chairs the interdepartmental staff social media committee of to build the Barnes voice and manage content across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn; grow and diversify audiences; and leverage channels that support revenue and attendance goals.
· Represents marketing and messaging interests to the internal Strategic Plan working group.
· Partners with Senior Director of Admissions and Retail Operations to develop promotions that include discount or incentive programs.
· Partners with the Director of Communications to create and implement effective marketing and communications strategies to support the foundation’s audience and revenue goals and media/marketing partnerships, etc.
· Participates in key internal committees and external conferences, contributing to key strategic, policy, culture and management decisions of the Barnes.
· Works with all departments to develop marketing material in support of the mission of the Barnes Foundation.
· Researches and analyzes best message, methods, channels, and trends for Barnes marketing and social media to support audience outreach and attendance goals.
· Represents the sales/marketing, audience development, and SEM/SEO functions in ongoing optimization of the Barnes website, working collaboratively with the Chief Technology Officer, Editorial and Design teams, and all other relevant departments.
· Coordinates efforts with outside public, city and state agencies to develop collaborations in support of Barnes marketing goals.
· Uses data driven analysis, including historical performance, external benchmarks, and market trends to develop, track, and evaluate advertising components of the Marketing Relations budget.
· Creates marketing partnerships with allied local, national, and international organizations, when appropriate.
· Performs other duties as requested.
· Demonstrates the ability to monitor, supervise and hold accountable all employees in the areas of attendance, completion of documentation, ADP and implementation of all company policies, procedures and protocols.
· Supervises and meets regularly with all direct reports to review operational metrics and provide ongoing guidance; documents constructive feedback regarding job specific functions, responsibilities and competencies.
· Maintains written documentation of supervision for oversight and review by other parties as appropriate.
· Demonstrates the ability to maintain a stable, productive team environment through effective communication, staff appreciation and other activities that yield a high level of employee engagement to support and preserve the employee’s interest in working for The Barnes Foundation.
Skills and Knowledge:
· Bachelor’s Degree with 5-8 years’ experience in marketing/communications or business development fields required or some college with additional relevant professional experience required.
· Proven ability to develop, coordinate, execute and analyze results of strategic and long-range marketing plans, consumer communications, message development, media planning and brand positioning.
· Strong quantitative and marketing analysis and presentation skills Ability to demonstrate ROI across all functions.
· Demonstrated budget responsibility, writing ability with strong visual sense and attention to detail.
· Creative problem solver and producer who can synthesize complex material quickly into data, charts and copy.
· Outstanding interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
· Ability to work individually or in a team.
· Strong project management skills: ability to establish priorities, work within deadlines, multitask, and organize. Proven ability to drive initiatives from concept to implementation in a fast-paced environment.
· Experience with contract oversight of third-party vendors, design agencies and content developers.
· Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Flash, Acrobat); social media scheduling and analytics tools; video editing, Microsoft Office Productivity Suite, Google Analytics, and Survey Monkey.
· Proficiency in all related computer applications (CRM and Content Management Systems experience preferred).
· Experience in dynamic cultural or non-profit organization preferred.
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; short- and long-term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time and holidays.
Please include a cover letter and an updated resume with your application, along with salary expectations.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position. Employees have rights under other laws including, but not limited to, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act. We participate in E-Verify.