The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum: Education Assistant
The Education Assistant will support the Education Department in developing and delivering innovative, enriching, and creative strategies for engagement with Pre-K through 12 students and educators; college and university students and educators; families, teens, and adults. Supporting outreach and managing the administrative responsibilities associated with these audiences is a critical role for the Assistant. The Assistant will also have the opportunity to generate ideas and content in the programs listed below, as well as across the department.
The Assistant will lead gallery tours and support a wide range of museum programs; will support the efforts to develop exhibitionbased resources for teacher and student learning; identify and communicate with teen audiences; and support college and university relationships and partnerships.
The Assistant will support public programs for families and adults in content generation and administration prior to, logistical tasks during, and assessment and evaluations after. The Assistant will collaborate with program staff, per diem educators, teaching artists, and guest participants, aid in material preparation, and when necessary
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Lead gallery tours and programs for students, families and teachers.
• Assist in generating and actively maintaining inquiry-based, exhibition specific curriculum for ArtWrite, STEAM, and Contemporary What? Tours; support in the research and development of innovative educational resources that enhance the experience of students, teachers, and general visitors alike.
• Coordinate administrative tasks for school groups, including relationship building, scheduling of Aldrich Museum educators, and communication with teachers and administrators
• Support with assessment and evaluation of programs within the Education Department
• Support with audience development and outreach to K-12 teachers, higher education faculty, teens, and special needs audiences
• Support the development of programming for teens and young artists
• Maintain The Studio, the Museum’s multi-purpose program and art-making space, including but not limited to developing innovative hands-on projects for visitors of all ages, overseeing materials inventory, and coordinating the use of The Studio with colleagues.
• Support in the coordination and creation of content manuals, training guides, and operational work processes that ensure a smooth delivery of education and family programs
• Communicate with the Visitor Experience team on all programming and education activities
• Additional tasks as assigned, including programmatic and administrative support for public programs and departmental initiatives
The Successful Applicant:
• Has a positive attitude, collaborative spirit, and strong work ethic.
• Is poised, confident, personable and professional; able to clearly articulate and represent the Museum’s mission
• Has excellent oral and written communication skills; is able to interact with people of all ages, needs, backgrounds, and abilities in an engaging manner
• Is proactive, solution-oriented, and demonstrates exemplary problem-solving skills
• Is organized, efficient, and diligent
• Has the ability to multi-task and support administrative needs related to the prep and breakdown and follow up for programs
• Is able to discuss past, present, and upcoming exhibitions in an accurate and interesting way, presenting factual information that is informative and engaging for our audiences
• Has a flexible approach and the ability to adapt quickly to diverse audiences
• Is able to introduce and implement educational methods, tools, and trends in the field
• Possess a vested interest in the field, inherent curiosity and ability to think creatively
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, preferably in museum studies, art education, art history, studio arts or similar
• 2 years job-related experience (preferably museum teaching and administration experience).
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume in a single PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Education Assistant Application.” Qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.