New York University Abu Dhabi Art Gallery : Director of Engagement
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
The NYUAD Art Gallery seeks to hire a department head for Public Programs and Engagement, who will develop and implement creative strategies to connect gallery activity in to the university curriculum and out to the greater public, activating exhibition content and increasing potential links to new audiences. The position reports to the Gallery Director and Chief Curator at NYU Abu Dhabi.
The position will play a key role in connecting the gallery and NYUAD to different audiences via a spectrum of methods, from events and programs to developing strategic collaborations with stakeholders. A core part of this role will be to develop high-profile public programming and fulfill the gallery’s mission as a teaching museum with additional programs tailored to the university’s internal community.
In close collaboration with the curatorial team, this will include creative strategies for engaging different audiences, such as: content development with faculty, student engagement, developing symposia, conferences, residencies, connecting to schools and community groups, developing series of public talks and events for different regional publics, including adult, family, Arabic-language, scholarly, and other.
The role will also represent the NYUAD Gallery in the communities it serves (attend regional and international events and Campus internal events) to develop relationships that enable synergies and growth among our varied constituents.
Content development for, and engagement of, varied audiences:
- Oversee development of audience engagement program that activates exhibition content through events, programs, and collaborations
- Collaborate with publications department on content of interpretive materials (youth guide, audio tours, labels, wall text)
- Actively connect into the communities within and beyond NYUAD to cultivate relationships and build synergies with the Gallery program
Docent training and visitor services
- Grown and manage the Docent tour guide program
- Manage public-facing gallery internships (reception and docents)
- Respond to questions and feedback from visitors and handle situations that student museum guides are not prepared to handle
Outreach and Public Relations
- Write outreach and marketing material, and develop related campaigns
- Be the point of contact for the PR department, support marketing activities internally
- Lead the social media strategy in collaboration with PR consultation
- Develop and disseminate e-blasts, brochures, and program calendar
Assessment and reporting:
- Develop and implement strategies for assessing visitor comprehension of exhibition content, and evaluating success of programs
- Track and report on visitor statistics and feedback
- Generate monthly and annual reports on overall impact of gallery programs on its target audiences
The position will ideally be at the Director level; however, we will review applicants from mid- to senior-level. However, baseline requirements are:
- Graduate degree in Art Education, Museum Studies, or closely related field, or equivalent combination of institutional experience in addition to a Bachelor’s degree
- Professional experience in an art gallery or museum in functional areas detailed in the job description
- A communicator and connection-maker, who acts as an ambassador for NYUAD and engages the active support of diverse constituents
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as an independent self-starter and effectively manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work across diverse cultures and styles at all levels within and external to the campus community
- Demonstrated ability to speak comfortably in front of both small and large groups
- A natural requirement of this role will be substantial weekend and evening work hours. Appropriate protocols exist to offset evening and weekend event work
- Arabic language proficiency (highly desirable)
- Experience with the cultural ecosystems of the Gulf and UAE
- Extensive experience with changing exhibitions, knowledge of alternative interpretative approaches within museum environments
- A track record of forging productive external and internal partnerships and thought leadership in the field
- Skilled at building relationships at all levels within the organization, including with curators and scholars, students and staff
- Proven general management, problem-solving, and project planning, budgeting and implementation experience, along with leadership experience programming in a relevant field that engages diverse audiences with the arts
- Knowledge of best-practices from across various disciplines, and different methods of teaching with objects of art and culture
- Polished communication skills; experience presenting to a Board of Trustees and to other high-level leaders, VIPS and donors
- Skills in strategic planning; comfortable receiving input from many internal and external sources, and able to analyze and formulate disparate information into strategy
The University Gallery at NYU Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) is a non-collecting academic museum. Its exhibition program prioritizes curatorial, scholarly, and artistic experimentation, supporting publications and projects of local relevance and international significance. The program connects research and knowledge production, the region and NYUAD’s academic community.
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.