Recent years have witnessed growing moves worldwide to right inequalities around aspects of identity such as gender, race, ethnicity, and beliefs, and attach greater value to diversity. Also in contemporary art for the past decade or so, attention has turned increasingly to female artists who began their contemporary art careers between the 1950s and 1970s and continue to stay active as artists today.
Another Energy focuses on 16 of these female artists in their 70s or older, from across the globe, who continue to embark on new challenges. Ranging in ages 71-105 with their careers spanning over 50 years, they are originally from 14 different countries, and equally diverse in their current locations. Nonetheless, what these women share regardless of recognition or evaluation by art museums and the art market is a determination to pursue their own distinctive creative path with unshakable conviction in different environments, and in changing times.
Showcasing their wide array of powerful works from paintings, video, sculptures, to large-scale installations and performances, this exhibition contemplates the nature of the special strength – “Another Energy” – of these women who have all continued challenging throughout their long-standing careers. As we attempt to recover from an unprecedented situation, perhaps the sight of these women who have spent their lives walking their own paths with such immovable conviction will offer us new energy to tackle the ongoing challenges.
- Etel Adnan Born 1925 in Beirut; lives in Paris
- Phyllida Barlow Born 1944 in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK; lives in London
- Anna Boghiguian Born 1946 in Cairo; lives in Cairo
- Miriam Cahn Born 1949 in Basel, Switzerland; lives in Bregaglia
- Lili Dujourie Born 1941 in Roeselare, Belgium; lives in Lovendegem
- Anna Bella Geiger Born 1933 in Rio de Janeiro; lives in Rio de Janeiro
- Beatriz González Born 1938 in Bucaramanga, Colombia; lives in Bogotá
- Carmen Herrera Born 1915 in Havana; lives in New York
- Kim Soun-Gui Born 1946 in Buyeo, South Korea; lives in Paris
- Suzanne Lacy Born 1945 in Wasco, CA; lives in Los Angeles
- Mishima Kimiyo Born 1932 in Osaka; lives in Osaka and Gifu, Japan
- Miyamoto Kazuko Born 1942 in Tokyo; lives in New York
- Senga Nengudi Born 1943 in Chicago, IL; lives in Denver, CO
- Nunung WS Born 1948 in Lawang, East Java, Indonesia; lives in Yogyakarta
- Arpita Singh Born 1937 in Baranagar, India; lives in New Delhi
- Robin White Born 1946 in Te Puke, New Zealand; lives in Masterton
Image: Phyllida Barlow, Installation view: dock, Duveen Galleries, Tate Britain, London, 2014. Courtesy: Hauser & Wirth. Photo: Alex Delfanne
Mori Art Museum
Roppongi Hills Mori Tower
6 Chome-10-1 Roppongi
Minato City, Tokyo 106-0032, Japan