Gasworks : Artist Residency in Pakistan for UK-based artists
We are now accepting applications from artists based in the United Kingdom for a fully funded, six-week residency at theVasl Artists’ Association. Gasworks’ International Fellowships Programme offers UK-based artists the opportunity to undertake a residency at one of Gasworks’ partners abroad. This programme is funded by Arts Council England.
For further information, please visit the Vasl partner page at www.trianglenetwork.org
About Vasl Artists’ Association
Vasl provides and international platform to Pakistani artists and contemporary art in Pakistan. It is committed to creating a space focusing on experimentation, dialogue and exchange. Vasl’s activities include artists’ workshops and residencies, as well as outreach activities, study programmes, talks and other events.
With its extensive archive of contemporary Pakistani artists, and its various activities, Vasl offers a unique entry point into the contemporary art in Pakistan.
In 2016, artist Ester Svensson undertook a residency at Vasl. To read about Ester’s work and experience whilst in Karachi please click here.
The selected artist will arrive on Friday, October 25, 2019 and stay until Friday, December 6, 2019.This six week program will include the opening week of the Karachi Biennale, research, city orientation tours and studio visits, documentation, production and a final show/ open day for the artist’s work. This duration may also include an artist talk at IVS or another institution for the artist’s outreach.
Please note: As Vasl Artists’ Association will be hosting up to 4 other artists for the Karachi Biennale 2019, alternative accommodation will be provided between the 25th October and the 2nd November. The artist will then be moved to the Vasl facility as soon as the other 4 artists have departed.
- Private workspace with 24-hour access
- Basic living expenses
- Materials budget
- Economy return flights
- Local travel budget
- Public event/s as agreed with the host organisation, such as an Artist Talk or Open Studio
- Administrative and peer support is also provided for all participating artists
(NB: travel insurance is not covered.)
Selection and Eligibility:
The fellowship program is open to emerging and mid-career artists based in the UK. Ideal candidates show significant promise and dedication to their work and are at a moment in which access to studio space and a supportive community in Karachi will be particularly meaningful and transformative to their practice. It is important that all applicants research Vasl thoroughly before submitting their proposal so as to be fully aware of the context which they would, if successful, be entering. Specific questions may be directed to: email@example.com
The artist will be selected on the basis of their application. Artists will be shortlisted by a committee that will include members from Gasworks and the host organisation. Only the successful candidate will be informed by Friday 24th May, 2019.
We accept digital applications only. Please use the online application form at the bottom of the relevant opportunity page on Gasworks’ website.
Your application should include:
1. A statement outlining what you plan to work on during the residency at Vasl Artists’ Association (300 word max)
2. A short artist’s statement describing your overall artistic practice (250 word max)
3. Please describe what you can contribute to and what do you need from a dynamic, international, multidisciplinary, small-scale artist residency program? (200 word max)
4. A minimum of 5 images of recent work (within the PDF document) with captions and a short description if necessary
5. A current CV, a cover sheet with your name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers. Confirmation of dates for 6-week period you would be available between the 25th October – 6thDecember 2019, if selected.
6. Names, contact information and your relationship to two references who can speak to your overall practice and character.
Deadline for applications: 10am, Monday 20th May 2019