Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa : Production Assistant
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public, not-for-profit contemporary art museum which collects, preserves, researches, and exhibits twenty-first-century art from Africa and its Diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and guarantees access for all.
Reporting to the Exhibition Manager, the Production Assistant is responsible for assisting with the Museum’s multi-faceted exhibition program. This includes the installation and de-installation of on-site exhibitions and displays primarily. Other responsibilities will include supporting the exhibition units’ role in providing fabrication support for other Museum programs. May include evening and weekend hours as needed to support exhibition openings
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. The incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
- Assists in the production of exhibitions within the museum’s robust exhibition program, and assists with the drafting of plans, elevations and project timelines.
- Prepares the gallery space pre and post exhibition such as painting, refurbishment of the space and the building of exhibition furniture.
- Tracks, organises and maintains physical models and ensures that model-making supplies are organised and replenished. This is not limited to physical scale models but also includes the maintenance and archiving of digital models and plans. Assists with generating physical copies and distributing digital renderings.
- Assist with the design, production, preparation and installation of exhibition graphics, artefacts, vitrines, and text elements.
- Provide support in loading and unloading exhibition crates and materials.
- Assists with the repair of exhibit related objects and collateral or signage.
- Assist with the lighting of exhibitions.
- Works with vendors and contractors to source materials and services and troubleshoot installation methods and strategies.
- Assists with maintenance of the production work area and storage areas.
- Assist with inventory control of exhibition elements to include temporary and travelling exhibits as needed. This inventory is not limited to exhibitions, but also organising and taking inventory of the department’s materials and samples and tracking their location when loaned to other departments/staff members.
- Assists the department with light administrative duties.
- Supports the Registrar and Collections management department when required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, in art or a design-related field, preferred, and two years of relevant work experience.
- At least one year of experience working in a gallery or museum setting.
- Experience with refurbishment, painting and building of exhibition furniture
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Sketch-up and or Autodesk Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, namely InDesign, Photoshop and illustrator, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), and other standard office procedures and equipment;
- Good understanding of audio-visual equipment, in the sense that the employee will need to troubleshoot technical errors, occasionally edit and load media.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Knowledge of Contemporary Art is essential.
- Must be a self-starter and able to multi-task and prioritise.
- Must have excellent organisational skills and be detail-oriented.
- Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines and complete assignments promptly.
- The ability to efficiently manage several projects simultaneously and work to a stringent project schedule and timeline.
- The ability to form and maintain successful working relationships with museum staff, designers, artists and external service providers;
- Ability to work in a team environment and be able to negotiate multiple perspectives and provide tangible solutions.
- Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times to ensure high-quality service.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers, volunteers and the general public.
- Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information in a one-on-one and small group format.
- Act on own initiative.
- Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures.
- Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritising multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment.
- Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a comprehensive, well-conceived and timely manner.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- The employee should have experience and is physically capable of operating hand-held tools and heavy-duty machinery alike.
- The employee is frequently required to hear, comprehend and process complex instructions, report back, and communicate through spoken language.
- The employee is required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee is required to go up and down ladders (up to 12 feet) and or use and operate a scissor lift.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
As a cutting-edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms, including gender, race, creed, and orientation. Zeitz MOCAA is committed to Employment Equity and particularly welcomes applications from suitably qualified Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDIs) for this position.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date, 2 August 2019.