The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation : Visitor Assistant
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking Visitor Assistants for full-time hours. (40 hours a week and weekend availability is needed) As a member of the Visitor Experience Department, the Visitor Assistant is responsible for the general maintenance of the visitor experience desks including selling admission, and promoting audio tours, while delivering superior customer service to visitors needing information on Museum services.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, through exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim network that began in the 1970s when the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, was joined by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, has since expanded to include the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (opened 1997) and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi (currently in development). Looking to the future, the Guggenheim Foundation continues to forge international collaborations that take contemporary art, architecture, and design beyond the walls of the museum. More information about the foundation can be found at guggenheim.org.
There are no direct reports associated with this position.
- Provide superior customer service to visitors including: selling museum admission; promoting ongoing public programs; encouraging use of audio tour; promoting purchase of CityPASS and when applicable, exhibition catalogues.
- Inform visitors about current museum activities including: admission policies, membership categories/benefits, openings, and special programs. Attend briefings for special exhibitions.
- Complete mandatory reading and review press releases.
- On opening shift, set up Admissions and Information desks prior to museum opening. Maintain desks throughout the day.
- Verify cash drawer at the beginning of each shift and count out at the end of each shift.
- Support Supervisor with research into overages and shortages.
- Greet all visitors, answer their questions, provide general orientation to the museum along with information about facilities, exhibitions, the building and permanent collection.
- Assist Information Desk Volunteers when necessary.
- Assist with implementing visitor surveys.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.A. degree/arts interest
- At least one year of customer or public service experience
- One foreign language a plus
- Weekend availability is a must
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
To apply, visit https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=NY157 . Please attach both a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.