The Noguchi Museum : Part-Time Museum Shop Sales Associate
The Noguchi Museum is seeking a Part-Time Sales Associate for its Museum Shop & Cafe with customer service and sales experience in the arts and design. This position is integral to the Museum’s retail operation. The Sales Associate executes the day-to-day operations of the Museum Shop, including sales of design works by Isamu Noguchi, most significantly his Akari light sculptures, as well as furniture and other products. In addition, the Sales Associate is responsible for the service of beverages, pastries, prepared sandwiches, and salads from the small Cafe within the Shop.
The ideal candidate combines retail background with an interest in twentieth century art and design, and offers a comfortable customer experience to all visitors, as well as in-depth information about the Museum and products as needed. Knowledge of Noguchi, the Museum, its collection, mission, and values is essential to this position.
Reporting directly to the Shop Manager, the Noguchi Museum Shop Sales Associate also works closely with the Visitor Services and Merchandising and Design department staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Learns and provides valuable knowledge to customers interested in purchasing Akari and merchandise at Museum Shop, and is well-versed in Noguchi’s life, designs, and work, as well as in product inventory, price points, and product information
- Keeps the Shop & Cafe space and product clean, stocked, organized, and straightened
- Takes lead in all aspects of sales, and communicates with Shop Manager when sales assistance is needed
- Participates in biannual physical inventory
- Assists with creating and updating signs for the Shop and makes sure all products have price tags and are marked correctly
- Ensures accurate processing of transactions and discounts
- Maintains organized back stock in the Museum Shop
- Communicates with Merchandising and Design department on customer inquiries regarding Akari and other products and shipping procedures when needed
- Oversees small cafe within the Museum Shop
- Assists Shop Manager with displays of Akari and products in the Shop and other spaces as needed
- Basic retail accounting experience
- Self-motivated, passionate about art and design retail
- Ability to work independently, with careful attention to detail
- Experience with handling cash
- Experience with retail operational point of sale systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated skills using Microsoft Office, especially with Word and Excel
- Ability to lift 20 to 30 pounds (books or other inventory)
The Museum Shop Sales Associate position is part time and located in The Noguchi Museum in Long Island City, Queens. The current position is for two days per week, Thursday from 9:30 am–5:30 pm and Sunday from 10:30 am–5:30 pm. The work days could potentially vary within the Museum’s public schedule, Wednesday–Friday, 10 am–5 pm and Saturday–Sunday, 11 am–6 pm.
About the Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum
The Noguchi Museum – chartered as The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum – was founded and designed by the acclaimed Japanese-American artist Isamu Noguchi (1904-1988) for the display of his life’s work. Opened in 1985 and located in the vibrant neighborhood of Long Island City, Queens, the Museum is housed in a converted industrial building and is itself considered to be one of Noguchi’s greatest works. Today, the mission of the Museum is to advance the understanding and appreciation of Noguchi’s art and legacy. It manages the world’s most extensive collection of Noguchi’s sculptures, works on paper, architectural models, and designs, in addition to his complete archives. Through its rich collection, exhibitions, and programming, the Museum facilitates scholarship and learning for audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
The Noguchi Museum is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other criterion specified by federal, state or local laws, in the administration of its employment policy.
Benefits for part-time employees at the Museum include a one-hour paid meal break, accrued paid sick days, and employee discounts on merchandise for sale at the Museum, among other benefits.
Please submit resume and cover letter.