The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation : Administrative Coordinator, Education
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking an Administrative Coordinator for the Education Department. Reporting to the Deputy Director and Gail Engelberg Director of Education the Administrative Coordinator, Education is responsible for providing administrative support for the Department’s Executive Administration and coordinating department-wide needs related to programming, finance/budgets, development/board, an 8,200 sq ft Arts Education Center and other project initiatives as designated.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, through exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim network that began in the 1970s when the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, was joined by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, has since expanded to include the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (opened 1997) and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi (currently in development). Looking to the future, the Guggenheim Foundation continues to forge international collaborations that take contemporary art, architecture, and design beyond the walls of the museum. More information about the foundation can be found at guggenheim.org.
Executive Administration and General Departmental Needs
- Maintain Deputy Director’s contacts and assist with scheduling appointments; arrange business travel
- Present a welcoming and helpful presence to all visitors to the Education Center
- Collect, distribute, and submit all correspondence and documents requiring Deputy Director’s approval, both hard copy and in Concur as appropriate;
- Schedule events/spaces in the Center for both Education Department-related meetings and events and other museum-wide requests
- Monitor phone and email inquiries to the general education accounts
- Oversee the Education Center including maintenance and general upkeep and the ordering of office supplies, research materials and exhibition catalogues.
- Assist with cross-departmental coordination of Exhibition presented in the Center, their implementation and installation/deinstallation
- Provide information to other departments as requested
- Track departmental program statistics quarterly
- Coordinate department meetings, retreats, and strategic plans
- Facilitate relations with the Guggenheim constellation including quarterly phone conferences with Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and Guggeheim Abu Dhabi meetings and programming
- Support for additional department projects as needed
- Submit T&E reports for Deputy Director and Directors’ expenses
- Work with each program area to create annual budgets, exhibition budget proposals and actuals
- Track expenses and review monthly budget management reports checking for accuracy. Assist with the re-projection process. Process budget reclassifications
- Interface with Finance Department regarding new policies, updates, and miscellaneous needs
- Complete and submit expense reports for Department American Express account
- Assist Directors with correspondence to and stewardship of Education Committe members
- Coordinate logistics and catering for three to four EC meetings per year
- Draft minutes for every Education Committee meeting
- Assist with the creation of the Education Board update presentation
- Coordinate requests from colleagues/ funders/Development Department for visits to the Center and meetings with Education Department staff; prepare customized education packets to address interests
Aye Simon Reading Room Library
- Maintain Reading Room library making sure all books are properly labeled and new books are ordered as appropriate
- On a case-by-case basis as needed, coordinate packing and shipping of books to and from the Reading Room
- Purchase new books for each rotunda exhibition and others as appropriate, working with Curatorial to determine which books should be ordered.
- Track expenses for Aye Simon Reading Room budget
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.A. degree in art education, art history, education or related field
- 2-3 years administrative experience required
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and writing skills
- Ability to work with the public in a professional manner, handle multiple tasks, maintain deadlines, and stay focused in a fast-paced and occasionally noisy work environment
- Strong customer service skills and prior experience working in a cultural institution highly desirable
- Detail-oriented, adept at handling common business software and processing budgetary and statistical information
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, PC and Mac OS, and Raiser’s Edge
- Adept at and interested in budget and finance-related tasks
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.