The Noguchi Museum : Budget Analyst-Staff Accountant
The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum seeks a full time budget analyst – staff accountant. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, this position will support the Museum’s finance operations.
About the Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum
The Noguchi Museum – chartered as The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum – was founded and designed by the acclaimed Japanese-American artist Isamu Noguchi (1904-1988) for the display of his life’s work. Opened in 1985 and located in the vibrant neighborhood of Long Island City, Queens, the Museum is housed in a converted industrial building and is itself considered to be one of Noguchi’s greatest works. Today, the mission of the Museum is to advance the understanding and appreciation of Noguchi’s art and legacy. It manages the world’s most extensive collection of Noguchi’s sculptures, works on paper, architectural models, and designs, in addition to his complete archives. Through its rich collection, exhibitions, and programming, the Museum facilitates scholarship and learning for audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with staff in all departments at the Museum in the development of budgets
- Monitor and modify budgets and update forecasts
- Perform periodic budget and actual variance analysis on balance sheet and income statements accounts
- Maintain budget/forecast in the accounting system
- Manage accounts payable and cash disbursement procedures
- Manage accounts receivable and cash receipts procedures
- Perform monthly bank and credit cards reconciliations
- Prepare and post various monthly activities to investment accounts
- Prepare and post payroll and benefit related entries
- Prepare and post monthly and quarterly closing entries
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements and reporting packages
- Provide financial support to the Museum’s merchandising department
o Assist in in management of the merchandising department’s accounting system
o Assist in management of cost accounting, inventory valuation, and gross margin analysis
- Assist in development and evaluation of effectiveness and efficiency of the internal controls
- Maintain payroll related data and its system
- Maintain and monitor various benefit data and its system, including the Museum’s 403B, health insurance, transit, and other benefits
- Assist other ad-hoc projects
- Perform other administrative duties
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 2 years of accounting experience
- Proficiency in accounting software; knowledge and experience with QuickBooks a plus
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Superb organizational skills and attention to details
- Basic knowledge of US GAAP including understanding of ASC958
- Basic knowledge of IRS Form 990
- Experience in audit and US GAAS a plus
- Knowledge of retail operation and inventory a plus
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in financial reporting and audits a plus
- Shared interest in the mission of The Noguchi Museum
The Budget Analyst & Staff Accountant position is full-time and located in The Noguchi Museum in Long Island City, Queens. Hours are 5 days a week, 9 am–5 pm, Monday– Friday. Overtime hours during closing, audit, and the budget season are an occasional requirement of the position. Work is typically performed in an office environment; prolonged periods of sitting, use of computers and standard office equipment required to accomplish work objectives. Salary is $55,000 per year and benefits include a generous health insurance program, a 403(b) retirement savings plan with company match, and paid time off, as well as other benefits.
The Noguchi Museum is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other criterion specified by federal, state or local laws, in the administration of its employment policy.
To Apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.