Aperture Foundation : Proofreader/Copy Editor
Aperture is seeking a full-time Proofreader/Copy Editor to provide critical editorial support for the organization by proofreading copy for a large amount of ephemeral materials produced by our communications, sales, exhibitions, education, development, and book departments. The ideal candidate has razor-sharp proofreading, copyediting, and writing skills; is well versed in Chicago style; and is highly organized. A familiarity with the discourse around photography and contemporary art and culture is helpful. The position will report to the Senior Text Editor.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
• Copyediting and/or proofreading all print and digital ephemera produced by Aperture, including e-newsletters and e-vites, colophons, exhibition wall texts and captions, educational brochures, media kits for Aperture magazine, development materials, news releases, and seasonal sales catalogues and tipsheets.
• Copyediting texts for the biannual newspaper The PhotoBook Review.
• Copyediting texts for Aperture books and proofreading layouts, as time allows.
• Working with Senior Text Editor to consistently implement house style across all departments and projects.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills
• 2–3 years of copyediting and/or proofreading experience
• Attention to detail and ability to work independently with minimal oversight and thrive under pressure and on deadline
• Knowledge of photography preferred
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and how you heard about this opportunity
Cover letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.pdf
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE. Only applicants who meet our requirements for this position will be contacted.
Aperture offers a competitive salary and benefits. Our staff also has generous vacation, sick leave, and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Aperture seeks to build a diverse and inclusive workforce, and welcomes all applications regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, cultural background, disability, age, or religion.