The J. Paul Getty Trust: Research Assistant
The Curatorial department of the Getty Research Institute is seeking a Research Assistant to assist the Associate Curator of Rare Books Will assist curator by conducting research, writing and other curatorial work related to acquisitions, exhibitions, publications, research projects and presentations.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Conducts research in the special collections and contributes to the conceptual development of a project by organizing/creating documentation of found materials, such as bibliographies, searching for and ordering texts, writing literature reviews, etc
- Requests images for exhibitions and/or publications; researches and obtains art and image permissions
- Proofreads, edits, and translates as needed
- Assists with creation of project websites and PowerPoint presentations
- May copyedit essays, author biographies, endnotes, etc
- May assist with organizing art programs for publications by communicating with authors, updating essay drafts, assisting editors in checking page proofs, proofing indexes, etc.
- MA/Ph.D. candidate/degree in either Art History, Classics, Early Modern History, Library Science or a related humanities field with strong skills and facility in navigating a major research library preferred
- 0-2 years research experience (education may be considered)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Reading knowledge of at least two European languages essential and knowledge of Latin highly desirable, as is previous experience in dealing with rare books and primary archival materials.
- Strong computer skills a must, especially a ready ease in dealing with Microsoft and Adobe suites, as well as on-line research databases. Knowledge of Filemaker Pro a plus.
- The successful candidate should be a highly organized multi-tasker with a warm, collaborative personality
To apply, visit: https://jobs-getty.icims.com/jobs/3497/research-assistant/job