The Menil Collection : Curatorial Assistant, Modern and Contemporary Art
General Responsibilities The Curatorial Assistant, Modern and Contemporary Art, provides research and exhibition support to the Senior Curator.
The role of Curatorial Assistant is a three-year appointment which may be extended beyond its initial ending date.
1. Assist and support the Senior Curator with research related to the modern and contemporary collection and specific exhibitions.
2. Work cooperatively with other departments including, but not limited to, Publications, Advancement, and Conservation, to provide exhibition descriptions, essays, and other materials.
3. Research and catalog the Museum collection.
4. Assist in research and preparation for potential acquisitions for the collection. Perform biographical and bibliographical research, maintain files, and communicate with dealers, galleries, collectors, and artists, as necessary.
5. Assist in the maintenance of the collection and loans. Expedite arrangements with the Collection Management and Conservation Departments to prepare works as required in the gallery, study, and storage areas.
6. Assist Senior Curator with all aspects of exhibition research, planning, organization, and realization.
7. Write, edit, and assist in the production of Museum publications and exhibition-related materials, including gallery guides and extended object labels.
8. Perform exhibition support functions, including bibliographic and checklist research, loan correspondence, publication research and production, website development, and public program planning.
9. Function as a liaison with outside persons and organizations, and with other departments within the Museum.
10. Answer inquiries and conduct gallery tours as necessary for visitors, patrons, member groups, and special guests.
1. Master’s degree in art, art history, or museum studies with demonstrated scholarship in modern and contemporary art.
2. Minimum two years of museum experience.
3. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
4. Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail
5. Superior research, writing, and editing skills.
6. Ability to prioritize and independently manage workload.
7. Motivated self-starter.
8. Professional appearance and demeanor.
Salary and benefits competitive and commensurate with experience. Please send resume, cover letter and salary expectation to: Director of Human Resources, the Menil Collection, 1511 Branard Street, Houston, Texas 77006. Application materials may also be emailed to: email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted through August 15, 2019.