The J. Paul Getty Trust: Associate Registrar
The J. Paul Getty Museum seeks an experienced individual for a full-time position of Associate Registrar to secure images and reproduction rights for exhibition-related publications and promotional materials. The successful candidate will have 3-5 years publications or registration experience; experience in negotiating rights for image reproduction; knowledge of different types of digital and photographic materials and imaging software; experience with an automated collections management system and/or digital asset management systems; a solid understanding of license agreements and copyright law; and strong administrative skills to handle paperwork and meet deadlines. Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with editorial and proofing experience required. Must be detailed-oriented, flexible, and able to work on several complex projects at once.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Works closely with curatorial, publications, communications, and exhibitions staff to identify the images and permissions needed for exhibition-related publications and promotional materials.
- Reviews loan conditions and copyright information in collections database,The Museum System (TMS), to determine rights to reproduce images of objects in exhibitions.
- Contacts institutional lenders, private collectors, copyright holders, and licensing agencies to obtain necessary images and reproduction rights.
- Negotiates fees and coordinates payment.
- Maintains license and rights files.
- Tracks permissions granted and crediting requirements in TMS and/or the digital asset management system (OTMM).
- Proof promotional and gallery materials to ensure accurate crediting.
- Uploads images to OTMM and coordinates access to them by other staff.
- Works on other projects as assigned by the Registrar for Rights and Reproductions.
- Bachelor’s degree in art history or related field
- 3-5 years of registration or publications experience or related experience in collections documentation, handling or movement or in the granting or obtaining of electronic rights
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Applies knowledge of collection documentation, image reproduction, loan and rights negotiation, license agreements or copyright law to moderately complex assignments and work
- Knowledge of database systems, imaging software and database reporting mechanisms
- Proven project management skills
- Reading and conversation skills in one foreign language preferred
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven experience dealing with confidential information
- Competent editorial and proofing skills
To apply, visit: https://jobs-getty.icims.com/jobs/3503/associate-registrar/job