Dia Art Foundation : Part-Time Gallery Attendant, the Dan Flavin Art Institute (Seasonal, Temporary Position)
Part-Time Gallery Attendant, the Dan Flavin Art Institute (Seasonal, Temporary Position)
Dia Art Foundation has an immediate opening for a reliable and flexible individual to serve as a part-time gallery attendant at the Dan Flavin Art Institute (DFAI) in Bridgehampton, New York. This person will provide a positive experience for visitors to DFAI, safeguard the gallery, and assist the Caretaker with light maintenance of the property and grounds. Hours of work are Saturday and Sunday, 1–5 pm, May 1–October 31, and as needed including during the off-season.
Established by Dia in 1983, the Dan Flavin Art Institute is a renovated firehouse in Bridgehampton, New York, which holds a permanent installation of nine works in fluorescent light by Flavin and a first-floor gallery for changing exhibitions. Planned by Dan Flavin for the second-floor gallery of the space, the permanent installation traces the artist’s practice from 1963—when he began working solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes—to 1981—just before the presentation was realized. In creating this exhibition, he conceived of the architecture and sculptures as a single, unified installation. By manipulating the formal, phenomenal, and referential characteristics of light, the installation asks viewers to consider a series of contrasts—between colors and intensities of light, structure and formlessness, the obvious and the mysterious, and the serious and the humorous.
- Greet visitors and ensure a positive visitor experience for them while at the site; communicate effectively about the collection as well as Dia’s history, mission, and sites,as needed
- Monitor all safety regulations and demonstrate ability to assist in case of an emergency
- Assist the Caretaker with special events and with VIP visits, as needed
- Perform light maintenance of the building and grounds prior to, during, and after public hours; this may include sweeping and vacuuming, cleaning and stocking the bathrooms, dusting, picking up trash in the yard, shoveling snow, weeding, and changing fluorescent bulbs
- Act as backup for the Caretaker when needed
- High school diploma required; college-level courses or equivalent training in or knowledge of contemporary art preferred
- Must have excellent customer service and communication skills to assist with visitor questions and provide tours when needed
- Knowledge of the DFAI collection and special exhibitions, as well as Dia’s history, mission, sites, and collection
- Experience with light building maintenance; ability to use ladders and light industrial tools in performing maintenance tasks
- Must have the ability to work independently and exercise good judgment
- Must have the flexibility to work additional hours, as needed
- Requires periods of standing and walking around within the gallery space
- Must be comfortable working alone in the gallery space
- Must be able to lift, carry, and move up to 40 pounds
Hourly rate: $15
Dia employees have the opportunity to learn about Dia’s collection and sites through presentations by artists, curators, historians, and writers. Staff ID badges gain reduced or free admission to most American museums and arts organizations.
For consideration, please submit a letter of interest and resume.
Dia Art Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Application deadline: Open until filled