The Barnes Foundation : Exhibition Registrar
Description: The Barnes is seeking an Exhibition Registrar.
We’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Highly qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position.
Established in 1922 as an educational institution, the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more.
The Barnes Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
Job Specific Competencies:
· Oversee and negotiate exhibition contracts with partner institutions and artists, ensuring the relevant obligations and deadlines are met.
· Manage exhibition checklists and correspondence with lenders.
· Procure quotes for shipping and make necessary transportation arrangements.
· Book courier flights, hotel reservations, and submit per diem requests.
· Oversee incoming and outgoing shipments, sometimes out-of-hours.
· Develop and implement a courier training program.
· Support and cover the Collections Registrar as necessary.
· Project manage exhibitions.
· Monitor the progress of component parts of the exhibition (catalogue, design, etc.).
· Oversee and analyze comprehensive exhibition-related programming goals in conjunction with Education and/or Public Programs.
· Manage an exhibition calendar shared with all departments – including initiatives from Education or Community Programming.
· Exhibition Registrar manages shared exhibition resources: budgets, exhibition descriptions, checklists, images and credit lines, catalog information, label text, etc.
· Exhibition Registrar manages post-exhibition documentation, ensuring that the Foundation Library and Archive receives a coherent and ordered record of past shows.
Skills and Knowledge:
· Ten years of previous museum experience, including at least three in exhibition registration
· A career history in an institution that hosts international touring exhibitions
· Familiarity with TMS
· A flair for organization and scheduling, and an eye for detail
· Confidence and responsiveness in inter-institutional negotiations
· The ability to influence outcomes
· An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline
· Clarity and sensitivity in communications
· A respectful and collaborative approach to teamwork
· Second language preferred
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; short- and long-term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time and holidays.
Please include a cover letter and an updated resume with your application. The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position. Employees have rights under other laws including, but not limited to, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act. We participate in E-Verify.