Clyfford Still Museum : Gallery Teacher
Position: Gallery Teacher
Application Deadline: Friday, July 12, 2019
Start date: August 19, 2019
Compensation: $19.00 per hour
Status: Part-time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
The Clyfford Still Museum’s Education & Programs department is seeking passionate and enthusiastic gallery teachers to deliver the Museum’s programs for students, families, and teachers. The primary thrust of this work is the Museum’s on-site school visit program, called inStill Gallery Experiences for Schools and inStill To Go, which occurs off-site at schools. Gallery teachers, through their love of learning and skilled teaching, sustain this innovative program and contribute significantly to the Museum’s relationships with the teaching community.
- Follow lesson plans to facilitate and conduct inStill lessons with visiting school groups at the Museum and inStill To Golessons at schools.
- Facilitate family tours, family days, and family workshops.
- Staff the Museum’s hands-on Making Space.
- Facilitate events and professional development programs with teachers.
- Participate in initial training (which includes a combination of lesson observations, workshops, and at-home readings or videos) to become skilled in the Museum’s lessons, teaching strategies, and content.
- Participate in ongoing monthly training with the entire gallery teaching team to build teaching skills and comfort in a variety of relevant topics.
- Work with a team of 10-12 gallery teachers to provide optimal experiences for all students, teachers, and families.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Education & Programs, School and Youth about scheduling, training, and feedback.
- Reflect upon teaching practices and lessons with other gallery teachers and education department staff regularly.
- Work with other Museum staff to implement best practices in teaching and facilitation.
Work hours and duration:
- Position is part-time, and on-call. Hours may vary from 0-24 each week depending on program requests, with an average of 5-12 hours per week.
- Daytime availability during school hours is required.
- Occasional evenings and weekends are required.
- A flexible schedule is needed to accommodate various groups’ schedules and different types of offerings.
- inStill session time will include time to prepare, conduct, and wrap-up the visits.
- Most school visits occur during the school year; however, summer availability is required for other group visits.
Skills & Experience:
- Applicants should possess a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Spanish fluency is highly desirable.
- Applicants should have teaching experience in either classroom or non-formal settings.
- A love of teaching and comfort with groups of children of all ages required.
- Applicants should be reliable, creative, flexible, reflective, and organized.
- Applicants should be able to work independently as well as collaborate with a team of teachers.
- Applicants must pass a background check.
Education and Programs Department Values:
- Love for learning sustains our work.
- Learning is an ever-changing process and a life-long pursuit.
- Collaboration makes ideas better.
- It is necessary to experiment and fail in order to innovate.
- We are artist-centered and audience-centric.
- Advocacy on behalf of our visitors is one of our core roles.
- Interpretation and programming that are accessible, represent diverse perspectives, and are inclusive create a richer environment for learning.
- We are committed to activity, research, and dialogue in the field of art museum education.
- It is critical to allow time for collaborative evaluation and reflection.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and answers to availability questions below by July 12, 2019
- Are there days or times during the weekdays between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. that you are not available?
- Are you available for occasional nights and weekends?
- How many hours per week are you interested in working?
- How much advance notice of scheduling requests would you need to ensure your availability for teaching sessions?
- Due to the complex nature of the work and in-depth training, the Museum expects that gallery teachers be able to commit to the position for a minimum of 2 years. For how long would you expect to remain a gallery teacher?
- What are your short-term (3-5 years) and long-term (5-10 years) career goals?