Wellcome Collection : Publisher
We are hiring for a Publisher to maintain and develop Wellcome Collection’s publishing strategy.
As the Publisher, you will oversee all aspects of commissioning and producing books (paper, e-books, audio books etc) associated with Wellcome Collection, negotiating and overseeing collaborations with publishers, commissioning written and visual material, overseeing editorial, production and distribution processes.
You will take ownership of the Wellcome Book Prize strategy and identify future changes: review successes, oversee judges, marketing, an external PR agency and associated events.
Manage / recruit a team of two permanent members of staff as well as consultants and temporary staff where appropriate.
- Line-manage a team of two direct report staff as well as consultants and temporary staff as appropriate.
- Solicit and develop proposals for different strands of Wellcome Collection publications in conjunction with partners and team members including: (a) books directly associated with exhibitions, events and collections; (b) other ‘medical humanities’ publications that fit the Wellcome Collection ‘brand’.
- Take lead in establishing and managing competitive and effective co-publication arrangements with established and suitable publishing houses.
- Oversee process of commissioning top quality writing, illustration, pictures and other types of creative content for publications.
- Ensure that Wellcome Collection publications portfolio includes underrepresented perspectives in line with Wellcome Collection’s Strategic Direction on Access, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Oversee, and where appropriate, work directly on editing books, ensuring timely delivery of material for production and distribution.
- Monitor impact/sales/distribution of books and manage publishing and book prize budgets, aiming to extract maximum value for money from budget.
Experience & Skills
- A passion for books, culture and Wellcome Collection’s work
- Demonstrable experience of commissioning ambitious, successful non-fiction publications, with accountability staff and budget management.
- Knowledge or experience of working with museums / the cultural sector
- Strong connections with non-fiction authors, agents and publishing industry
- Proven interest in science, humanities and arts
- Passionate about Wellcome Collection’s content, programme and publishing portfolio
- Ability to build effective, strong working relationships
- Strategic and creative thinker
- Flexible and enthusiastic
- Intellectual and visual creativity
Education & Qualifications
A degree or qualification in a relevant subject
Appointment Type: Permanent
Salary: circa £50,000
Number of Positions: 1
Interview Timing: Interviews to commence 31st May
Applications to be received by 1159pm on 22-May-2019