Joan Mitchell Foundation: Researcher/Catalogue Raisonné Project Intern
The Joan Mitchell Catalogue Raisonné project is presently researching Joan Mitchell’s paintings in preparation of a catalogue raisonné. This will be a scholarly publication documenting all of the artist’s painted work, including entries for each painting with complete descriptive information and detailed histories of ownership, exhibitions, and literature.
The JMCR is seeking a part-time Research Intern to aid with the collection of information about exhibitions and published materials pertaining to Joan Mitchell’s paintings, as well as assisting with painting provenance research. This internship will provide exposure to the operations of a Catalogue Raisonné project and the opportunity to perform in-depth research on a single artist’s body of work. This is a paid internship which will last from mid-May through mid-August with a schedule of three days per week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support JMCR research staff by obtaining copies of exhibition catalogues and brochures, periodical articles (journals, newspapers, etc.), historic gallery checklists, and other materials from local libraries and archives
- Incorporate collected materials into the JMCR paper and digital filing systems
- Aid with provenance research as needed
- Provide administrative support as needed
- Work alongside JMCR team to learn the operations of a Catalogue Raisonné project
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE SKILL REQUIRED
- Art history undergraduate or graduate student
- Experience performing research in art libraries and archives
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with close attention to detail
- Professional demeanor
This position is primarily sedentary and is performed in an office setting. Position requires ability to communicate effectively and the ability to use computers, telephones and other office equipment. To be qualified, you must have the requisite skills, experience and education for the internship and must also be able to perform the essential functions of the internship, with or without reasonable accommodation. The Joan Mitchell Catalogue Raisonné provides reasonable accommodations to applicants upon request.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.