The J. Paul Getty Trust : Research Assistant
Supports the research, content development, editorial functions and other related tasks of the major initiative “America and the Re-Centering of the International Art Market: From Dealers to Collectors to Museums, 1880-1930” of the Project for the Study of Collecting and Provenance at the Getty Research Institute. Will conduct research of secondary and primary sources, including working closely with archival materials in special collections; interact closely with project leads, members of the Project for the Study of Collecting and Provenance, and guest researchers; and support the production of research databases. An interest in American art history and digital humanities is a plus.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Conducts advanced research in libraries and special collections under the direction of project leads
- Contributes to the development of the project by organizing/creating project documentation such as bibliographies and transcription spreadsheets, searching for and ordering texts, writing literature reviews, etc.
- Requests images for research and potential publications; researches and obtains art and image permissions
- Supports database development, production, and analysis according to best practices
- Proofreads, and edits as needed
- Assists with creation of project updates and PowerPoint presentations
- Assists with organizing workshops and supporting guest researchers by communicating with participants, preparing materials in advance, supplying requested materials
- May copyedit essays, author biographies, endnotes, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in art history or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- 0-2 years research and/or data curation experience (education may be considered)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a timely manner
- Ability to build relationships, collaborate and work on teams
- Ability to set and meet deadlines for oneself
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe software suites preferred
- Proficiency in Excel, Open Refine preferred
To apply, visit: https://jobs-getty.icims.com/jobs/3324/research-assistant/job