Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum : Manager of Board Relations
This spring, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum will launch a new board-led strategic plan that lays out a bold, future vision reflecting Isabella’s radical conception of a multidisciplinary, experiential museum committed to broadening audiences. Building on our recent audience growth and dynamic program innovation, we are exploring ways to realize most fully the Gardner’s vast potential as a vibrant cultural resource and a catalyst for daring, meaningful, artistic experiences. The Museum’s governance has long been a strength of the institution; building on that foundation will be a central aspect of the museum’s work in this next chapter.
Reporting to the Chief External Engagement Officer (CEEO) and working closely with the Director of the Museum, the Manager of Board Relations will be a key player in helping to advance and support all aspects of the Museum’s governance function. This position provides administrative and operational support for all Board related functions including working closely with the Museum’s Trustees (up to 28), Life Trustees (~15), and Board of Advisers (~45), ensuring that all Board members and governance prospects are actively engaged in the Museum.
- Scheduling: for all board meeting events, committee meetings, etc.;
- Material Preparation: responsible for all board-and committee related materials, including preparing meeting packets; drafting agenda; generating reports, including working with other staff leads (Development, Collections, Buildings and Grounds, etc.) to ensure high standard and timely materials;
- Minutes/Documentation: Write minutes of Board meetings and Governance Committee meetings and prepare reports; track and communicate committee assignments;
- Board Related Materials and Record-Keeping: Update and maintain Board Directory and Board Handbook; board listings; ensure accurate and timely electronic and paper record keeping of all board-related files/materials, etc.
- Help develop agenda and program for Board meetings (four Trustee meetings, the Annual Meeting and a special Advisors meeting);
- Help develop and implement communication strategies to ensure Board education and engagement;
- Help staff Governance Committee and provide support for Buildings and Grounds, Collections and Conservation, Compensation, and Security committees, and any board-related task forces, as needed;
- Working closely with leadership from the Development Department, help support a robust pipeline of governance prospects that aligns with museum priorities; help develop and support annual plans for board and governance prospect engagement; manage governance slate and rotations;
- Help execute orientations for new Trustees and Advisors;
- Serve as a liaison with Board President, Chair of Governance Committee, and Co-Chairs of the Board of Advisors;
- Prepare strategic talking points and briefings for Board President and other members of the volunteer leadership;
- Track and manage annual Board goals;
- Take on special projects as they arise.
Stewardship Events and Activities
- Support all aspects of Board Travel Program, including working with outside tour operators and the curatorial staff;
- Work closely with Development Department in support of key board-focused events as needed;
- Actively participate in museum events, including on evenings and weekends;
- Manage Board recognition program;
- Conduct special tours of the Museum (Trustee and Advisors), VIP tours, and other special requests.
- Highly proficient organizational and interpersonal capabilities;
- Demonstrated experience building and overseeing administrative processes and systems
- Adept at project management ;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years prior museum or relevant non-profit experience, including volunteer management and/or alumnae relations;
- Exemplary ability in, and experience working with, a wide range of personalities and settings
- Skilled at operating with discretion, diplomacy and confidentiality;
- Capacity to articulate key components of the museum’s collections, programmatic and capital initiatives;
- Strategic thinker.
To apply, visit: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/81666