Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum: Curatorial Assistant / Assistant Curator of Exhibitions
Our Core Values:
Isabella Stewart Gardner believed that art had the power to change lives and she built a beautiful, personal, and immersive Museum setting to do so. Today the Gardner is a living embodiment of her bold vision; a dynamic place where ideas and creativity in all its forms inspire visitors. Through exhibitions, music, programs, and performances we strive to tell new stories and challenge assumptions through diverse voices and community members. Our Core Values are:
- Creativity is our Legacy
- Community is our Purpose
- The Collection is our Catalyst
- Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion are our Commitments
The Gardner Museum’s exhibition program is central to its strategic objectives, connecting historical and contemporary art and presenting new narratives directly relevant to the issues of our time. The Museum actively collaborates with artists, scholars, and our local creative community on interpretation, related programming, and performances to deepen exploration of an exhibition’s theme.
We seek a rising professional to support the work of three curatorial departments—Collections, Contemporary, and Landscape—in developing, researching, and implementing exhibition projects. The successful candidate will also work closely with other departments and staff involved in exhibition preparation, such as Conservation, Education, and Development. Specific responsibilities include: exhibition and object research; loan requests; publications research; sourcing images, authoring labels and other interpretive materials or media; collaborating on or participating in public programs and presentations. This position incorporates substantial opportunity for collaboration and learning across multiple departments and areas of activity.
Depending upon level of experience, the Curatorial Assistant/Assistant Curator may also propose, develop, and implement their own exhibition projects.
This is a full-time, salaried, and benefits eligible position. The salary range for this position is $45K-60K. An ideal candidate will have experience working with living artists and at least one aspect of our permanent collection. Determination of final job title will be based on qualifications and experience.
- Support the preparation of exhibitions, public programs, and digital projects
- Propose new exhibitions, programs, and projects focusing on the collection or the contemporary art program
- Write texts for presentation of the collection and exhibitions (labels and guides, public relations texts, grant applications, online/website texts, digital interpretive tools, and other publications)
- Present lectures and public talks
- Research on the collection for digital projects and special exhibitions
- Contribute to the grant proposal writing process
- Other duties as required
- MA in art history or related field required
- Proficiency in at least one foreign language
- 2-3 years of curatorial work experience in an art museum
- Experience with a collections management system
- Strong independent research skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- A demonstrated ability and enthusiasm for working in teams
Additional application information required:
Please submit a sample of written work; ideally a short piece of writing intended for a public audience (like an exhibition label, a blog post, or an exhibition catalogue entry).
- Result Orientation
- Oral and written communication
- Building Collaborative Relationships
- Technical Expertise (Research)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion is one of the core values we hold close to our business practices. ISGM is committed to affording equal opportunities to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, gender, gender identity, genetics, military/veteran status, pregnancy, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable laws.
Request An Accommodation: Applicants with disabilities who are unable to fully access ISGM’s online application system may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with a reasonable accommodation.
To apply, visit: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/634046