This is first retrospective exhibition ever made dedicated to Marino Marini (1901 – 1980), which aims to position organically the artist from pistoia, in the history of sculpture.
The intimacy of the rooms of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, the second stage of the exhibition after the Palazzo Fabroni in Pistoia, allows for new readings, focused, and close, of more than fifty sculptures of Marino Marini and twenty works, from antiquity to 900, to which the sculpture of Marino are compared. In this way, the priority is a dialogue between his sculptures and those of traditional plasticity, with which the artist has made reference. Are the great models of sculpture of the 900 with which the Marine went into the dialogue, and, above all, some important examples of the sculpture of past centuries, have never been exhibited before in the halls of Palazzo Venier dei Leoni: from the ancient Egyptian to the Greek-archaic and Etruscan sculpture from the medieval to the Renaissance and the Nineteenth century. A similar dialog box offers a new point of view, unexpected and critically innovative, around the themes addressed by the sculptor, crossing over the cages of the history, styles, and of periodization. In the path of the production of the Marino Marini extended from the ’20s to the ’50s, each room sets the scene for some of the episodes of this dialog box. With more than 70 works, the exhibition is set up in the spaces of the emporary exhibitions, as well as in Project Rooms of the Museum and on the veranda next such spaces.
curated by By Barbara Cinelli and Flavio Fergonzi
Guggenheim Venice | 704 Dorsoduro, 30123 Venice | Italy