Glenstone Museum: Senior Communications Manager
Senior Director of Public Engagement
An Introduction to Glenstone Museum
Founded with the mission to seamlessly integrate art, architecture, and landscape, Glenstone is an art museum located on nearly 300 acres of rolling hills and unspoiled woodland in Potomac, Maryland. The museum, opened in 2006 and expanded in 2018, offers nearly 60,000 square feet of exhibition space to showcase its collection of more than 1300 works by 200 contemporary artists. With its expansion, Glenstone now has the ability to welcome 100,000 visitors each year, and admission is always free.
The Senior Communications Manager is responsible for developing and implementing innovative internal and external communications strategies for existing and new audiences to advance the museum’s mission and goals. This role will lead the Communication Department into an exciting next stage of development, ensuring clarity of voice and language across all channels, promoting brand awareness through traditional and digital platforms, and managing PR and media relations. The Communications manager will oversee the Digital Content Coordinator and Communications Assistant and the implementation of all digital and social media initiatives.
- Lead the Communication Department with foresight, intellectual integrity, and care.
- Develop and manage a content distribution strategy and timeline across all communication platforms (press, email marketing, newsletter, website, social and digital).
- Increase public outreach to support programs, exhibitions, and events.
- Strategically lead an upcoming website redesign project from design concept to implementation.
- Liaise with the leadership team to support a robust internal communications structure.
- Identify new ways to enhance internal communications for all associates to support a positive and inclusive workplace.
- Manage the Digital Content Coordinator and Communications Assistant.
- Develop and manage analytics (KPIs) for the communications and marketing plans to measure success and inform future decisions.
- Lead the 5-year strategic plan committee focused on sharing Glenstone’s story with existing and new audiences.
- Manage a communications consulting firm to achieve maximum value and results.
- Create and manage communications and marketing strategies at the local, national, and international level, as well as with targeted industry contacts.
- Write press releases for the organization and tailor messaging to different audiences.
- Organize and manage all press previews and other media events.
- Serve as a spokesperson for Glenstone Museum.
- Oversee a top-performing digital and social media strategy, with an emphasis on the emerging focal points of audience development and community engagement.
- Expand the museum’s digital presence.
- COVID-19 vaccination.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or a related field, from an accredited institution of higher education.
- 5-7 years of communications and/or public relations experience with knowledge of digital communications.
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills.
- Exceptional listening skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and professionally.
- Knowledge of museum operations, the arts industry, and digital marketing for the arts.
- Strategic and tactical understanding of digital media, including website user experience and best practices for key social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
- Professional integrity and the ability to handle sensitive issues and situations with discretion.
- Ability to work independently and effectively, and with great attention to detail.
- Strong cultural competence, interpersonal communication, planning, and organizational skills.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position. Glenstone offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and provides a total benefits package that helps you manage your health, protect your income, and prepare for the future. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; life, long-term disability and AD&D insurance, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA); a 401(k) retirement account with a matching contribution; an Employee Assistance Program (EAP); and tuition reimbursement.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law
To apply, visit: https://www.glenstone.org/about/careers/