Glenstone Museum: Finance Manager
An Introduction to Glenstone Museum
Founded with the mission to seamlessly integrate art, architecture, and landscape in a serene and contemplative environment, Glenstone is an art museum located on nearly 300 acres of rolling hills and unspoiled woodland in Potomac, Maryland. The museum, opened in 2006 and expanded in 2018, offers nearly 60,000 square feet of exhibition space to showcase its collection of more than 1,300 works by more than 200 contemporary artists. Glenstone welcomes the public four days a week and admission is always free.
Glenstone is proud to foster a professional environment in which people can do stimulating and fulfilling work. To work at Glenstone is to be a part of something bigger, something more meaningful, and something truly special. It is a chance to do a job to the highest standard, with the support required to assure excellence. It is an invitation to be engaged, challenged and stimulated, to help fulfill a powerful mission, and to contribute to a noble purpose.
We are incredibly proud of what Glenstone offers to those who create, appreciate, study, and otherwise participate in the world of art, architecture and landscape; and we are equally proud of what Glenstone offers to those who choose to join us in doing so.
The Finance Manager is primarily responsible for managing the general ledger and financial reporting systems, and for producing timely and accurate financial statements. The position will eventually manage a team of two, who are responsible for payroll and accounts payable. For the first three to six months of this role, the Finance Manager will train very closely with the current Finance Manager, to prepare for a department transition which will take place in Summer of 2020.
Desired Attributes & Characteristics
The ideal candidate will possess a strong accounting background and at least five years of consistent accounting experience with a proven track record of professional growth. This role serves as the primary contact for department managers and associates, as it relates to expenses and monthly financial reports. The candidate should be comfortable working with all members of the organization and commit to timely, thoughtful, and accurate responses.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the accounting system, Intacct, to become the organization’s primary expert on the system.
- Review invoices and expense reports to ensure compliance with policies.
- Follow-up with department manager or associate on any expense-related issues.
- Manage the credit card expense processing in the financial system.
- Review journal entries, including payroll and benefits entries.
- Review accounts monthly, including balance sheet and income statement accounts, and prepare journal entries for corrections needed.
- Prepare monthly financial reports.
- Modify and create financial reports in Intacct, as needed.
- Assist department managers with obtaining monthly financial reports; answer related questions and follow-up on reclassifications needed.
- Review revenue reports and entries from the POS system.
- Prepare bank wire transfers.
- Complete a daily review of Positive Pay exceptions.
- Review and approve biweekly payroll.
- Annually, prepare 1099s.
- Complete or assist with special projects.
- Manage two accounting associates.
- Other duties, as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- Five years of accounting experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Knowledge of accounting best practices.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage workload efficiently.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Criminal background check and credit check are required.
- Commitment to Glenstone’s core values: art is essential to life; meaningful encounters begin with direct engagement; honesty and intellectual integrity guide us; we think in the long-term; and excellence, continuous improvement, and teamwork guide us.
- Experience with a non-profit organization.
- Experience managing two or more people.
Salary & Benefits
Associates are crucial to achieving Glenstone’s mission and we offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. We also provide a total benefits package that helps associates manage their health, protect their income, and prepare for their future. To promote collaboration and show appreciation to associates, Glenstone provides a weekly staff lunch, on-site health and wellness classes and volunteer opportunities.
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; life, long-term and short-term disability and AD&D insurance, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA); a 401(k) retirement account with a matching contribution; an Employee Assistance Program (EAP); and tuition reimbursement.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.