Glenstone Museum: Exhibition Designer
Senior Director of Public Engagement
An Introduction to Glenstone Museum
Founded with the mission to seamlessly integrate art, architecture, and landscape, Glenstone is an art museum located on nearly 300 acres of rolling hills and unspoiled woodland in Potomac, Maryland. The museum, opened in 2006 and expanded in 2018, offers nearly 60,000 square feet of exhibition space to showcase its collection of more than 1300 works by 200 contemporary artists. With its expansion, Glenstone now has the ability to welcome 100,000 visitors each year, and admission is always free.
The Exhibition Designer works under the direction of the Senior Director of Public Engagement to support the design implementation of exhibitions, wayfinding signage, digital and printed collateral and the organization’s branding implementation to enhance and uphold the museum’s visual identity to the public. The Exhibition Designer is naturally creative, collaborative, and willing to work closely with all departments in the organization especially Curatorial, Communications, Visitor Experience as well as the Operations Division. The role requires the ability to successfully keep several projects in process at once, respond quickly and favorably to feedback, and remain adaptable to the iterative design process.
- Work closely with Curatorial, Capital Projects – Construction, and Registration departments to develop exhibition production packages including floor plans for construction, lighting, and wall didactics.
- Create mockups, maquettes, and digital renderings to support the curators in their decision-making process.
- Support the Communications department by providing design layouts to all digital and printed collateral.
- Support the Visitor Experience department by creating and updating wayfinding signage for visitors.
- Prepare mockups to support the design decision-making process.
- Create and implement wall didactics for exhibitions including digital presentations for accessibility.
- Contact vendors to request proposals as needed.
- Develop branded templates for internal use (Word, Power Point, Power BI etc.)
- Lead meetings and presentations in a group setting to support the design decision-making process.
- Work closely with the Operations Division during the exhibition construction process to ensure the exhibition design is implemented accurately.
- As the resident graphic designer, create branded designs for signage, brochures, website, social media, and other collateral as needed.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in exhibition design, graphic design, or equivalent work experience.
- At least (2) two-years of professional experience in exhibition design or graphic design, preferably in a museum or similar setting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Teams).
- Proficient in AutoCAD or equivalent software to develop scaled two-dimensional technical drawings.
- Strong command of Adobe Creative suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Positive attitude and receptive to feedback.
- Self-motivated and able to independently manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Success working in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Strong cultural competence, interpersonal communication, planning, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of 3D rendering software (Revit, Google Sketchup, Rhino or similar).
- Knowledge or experience in exhibition lighting design.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position. Glenstone offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and provides a total benefits package that helps you manage your health, protect your income, and prepare for the future. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; life, long-term disability and AD&D insurance, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA); a 401(k)-retirement account with a matching contribution; an Employee Assistance Program (EAP); and tuition reimbursement.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, visit: https://www.glenstone.org/about/careers/