Garage Museum of Contemporary Art: Open call to take part in Garage Studios’ yearlong program
Garage announces an open call to take part in a 12-month residency at Garage Studios and Artist Residencies, beginning mid-August 2021. The increase in the duration of the program and the amount of support is based on the belief that such a format will have a stronger impact on both the trajectory of residents’ artistic careers and their creative practices.
For the redesigned residency’s inaugural iteration, the field of interest is outlined by those concepts that constitute the work of Garage Studios: hospitality, food politics, and being-in-common.
The residency program will be built around informal meetings and conversations, dinners, walks, and other forms of cultivating togetherness. Throughout the year a twofold program of sessions will feature guest contributions by visiting mentors from a variety of disciplines and practices participating in a single program session, and a program of returning tutors who will engage with participants for the duration of their stay, returning to the Studios several times. Tutors for this residency year include the art group Raqs Media Collective, the curator Zdenka Badovinac, and the artist Cécile B. Evans. (Due to COVID-19 restrictions, sessions may take place in the second half of the residency or online).
Applications will be accepted from cultural actors working with visual, performative, sound, analytical, and theoretical components of contemporary culture.
- willingness to work in Moscow for one year;
- Russian citizenship/Russian temporary or permanent residence permit valid to September 2022;
- Sufficient English for communication during program sessions and with tutors.
- Documentation of one (1) work, which is exemplary for your practice and is of particular importance to you, accompanied by a commentary text on your choice (no more than 3,000 characters with spaces, PDF);
- An essay in which you describe a socio-cultural topic that is currently of interest to you, and which could become the subject of your research/paper (no more than 5,000 characters with spaces, PDF);
- A portfolio demonstrating the relevance of your practice (PDF);
- The application must be written in English.
Application deadline: May 15, 2021
All applicants will be notified by email by July 5, 2021.
Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Twelve residents will be selected from this open call. This year’s selection committee comprises the program’s tutors Raqs Media Collective, Zdenka Badovinac, and Cécile B. Evans, the curators Katia Krupennikova and Nicolaus Schafhausen, Garage Studios curator Ivan Isaev, and Beatrix Ruf, Director of Strategic and Program Consulting at Garage.
Notifications will be sent via email to all applicants after the selection committee has made its final decision.
The following resources will be offered to each participant for this 12-month residency:
- free accommodation (an apartment shared by three residents);
- free individual studio at Garage Studios at VDNKh;
- a monthly stipend of 40,000 rubles;
- Each participant who does not live in Moscow will have their travel costs covered for their return trip to/from Moscow, as well as to/from the airport or train station to the shared accommodation.