0 Items

The present-day museum was previously Emil Nolde’s home and studio, which he designed himself in 1927. With its rectilinear forms the building is reminiscent of Bauhaus architecture of the 1920s. Nolde deliberately selected the architectural contrast with the thatched Friesen farmsteads in the area: the red-brick building with its narrow windows and flat roof sits upon a terp (raised dwelling-mound) and rises confidently above the flat landscape. The residential rooms on the ground floor still contain the original furnishings, and some of these areas may be viewed. In Nolde’s former studio, also on the ground floor, some of his religious paintings are on display today, including his major work, the nine-part cycle “Life of Christ” (1911/12). The painting gallery, added in 1937, was built directly above the studio. The former residential rooms on the second floor were reconfigured into galleries, in which Nolde’s intensely colourful watercolours and prints can now be viewed.

Contact Info

Seebüll 31 Neukirchen D-25927 Germany.

info@nolde-stiftung.de   http://www.nolde-stiftung.de

Our Map

You can also find them on our Foundation’s Worldwide Map.

Pin It on Pinterest