Fondazione Memmo and Gasworks are working in partnership to offer a fully funded residency at Gasworks, London, for an Italian artist based in Italy, from 9 January – 27 March 2023.
The Fondazione Memmo was established in 1990 to realise the dream of its founder, Roberto Memmo, who desired to bring the world of art to the broader public. Through the development and production of exhibitions, performances, residencies, talks, conferences, workshops and art publications, Fondazione Memmo aims to actively support current and cutting edge practices in order to contribute to the development of our future. As part of this mission the residency for Italian artists focuses on practitioners interested in working outside their local context, thereby bringing Italian contemporary art into an international arena.
About the Residency
Gasworks’ residencies are opportunities for self-led professional development, artistic exchange and experimentation.
Gasworks programmes up to sixteen residencies each year, inviting emerging international artists to work alongside a community of nine London-based peers for three months. Residencies are non-prescriptive and process-based and focus on enabling artists to research and develop new work. Made public through Open Studios and events, these opportunities encourage interaction, dialogue and professional networking.
Gasworks provides significant pastoral and curatorial support throughout the residency, however artists are also expected to be proactive and self-motivated and lead the research and production of their work while in London.
The residency comprises:
– 24-hour access to a fully accessible private studio at Gasworks, alongside other visiting artists and Gasworks’ permanent studio holders
– A public Open Studios displaying work produced during the residency at Gasworks
– Support with visa applications and all visa costs covered
– Economy return flights from the artist’s home city to London, including 1 cabin and 1 hold luggage
– Single room accommodation within Gasworks Residencies House (a 2-story house, shared with 3 other artists-in-residence), with share of the bathrooms and kitchen
– A weekly stipend of £150 for living expenses
– A materials budget of £800
– Access to Gasworks’ tools and AV equipment, subject to availability
– Travel card (TFL zones 1+2) for unlimited travel within central London for the duration of the residency
– Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks (during office hours, Monday-Friday, 9:30am-6pm)
– A dedicated residency page on Gasworks’ website
– A short video interview/presentation in advance of the Open Studio to introduce the artists’ work. The video will be permanently added to the residency page on Gasworks’ website
– At least 2 individual studio visits with curators and arts professionals (meetings will be in person however on occasions and when relevant they will also happen virtually)
– Opportunities to meet with other artists, arts professionals, patrons and collectors through at least 2 organised lunches and/or dinners
– Artists are required to write a report (a template will be provided) summarising their residency
– Curatorial Support from Fondazione Memmo.
The artist will be selected on the basis of their application. The selection committee is comprised of Alessio Antoniolli (Director, Gasworks), Sabel Gavaldon (Curator, Gasworks), Anna d’Amelio Carbone (Director, Fondazione Memmo), Fabiana Marenghi Vaselli Bond (Director, Fondazione Memmo), and Ilaria Puri Purini (independent curator). The successful artist only will be notified by 15 October 2022.
We accept digital applications only. Please use the online application form in the opportunity page on Gasworks’ website, here. Your application should include the following in ONE PDF file only:
– An artist’s statement describing your practice and areas of interest (up to 250 words)
– A minimum of 10 images (or equivalent extracts from videos, sound work etc…) of recent work, with captions and a short description if necessary.
– A CV/Resume
– A simple statement outlining your plans, if you were to be offered the residency, which could include a short description of a research project specific to the context of London or your residency at Gasworks (up to 250 words). This proposal does not have to be definitive and can change during the course of the residency.
– Any relevant documentation (e.g. selected articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc)
– A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers if available, plus confirmation that you will be available from 9 January – 27 March 2023, if selected.
Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered.
Please note that there is a 10MB limit on pdf submissions. If your file is not in pdf format or is over 10MB you will not be able to submit it.
Application Deadline: Monday 10am (UK time), 26 September 2022