Faurschou Foundation: Gallery Administration Assistant
The Faurschou Foundation was established in 2011 in order to champion artists and foster cross-cultural dialogue, particularly between the East and West. The Foundation has two primary areas of activity: acquiring significant works of contemporary art for its private collection and organizing museum-quality exhibitions across the globe to offer visitors unique art experiences.
The privately-owned Foundation has its primary exhibition space in Copenhagen and also has a permanent exhibition gallery in Beijing’s 798 District. In addition, the Foundation exhibits bi-annually in Venice. This fall Faurschou Foundation will open an exhibition space in Greenpoint, Brooklyn New York and we are looking for a full-time gallery administrator to help run and maintain the gallery.
The Gallery Administration Assistant will be a vital part of the Faurschou Greenpoint team. Under the guidance of the Gallery Manager you will be responsible for a wide range of tasks to ensure the successful launch and ongoing operation of the exhibition gallery, including creating a positive environment by welcoming and engaging guests, monitoring and safe-guarding artworks, and providing administrative and operational support for the space and to the Gallery Manager and other Faurschou staff.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
• Receiving guests, answering questions and making recommendations to enhance the visitor experience while keeping a careful eye on the artworks and monitoring guest behavior in a friendly approachable way.
• As needed, opening and closing the exhibition space.
• Answering phone calls and written inquiries.
• Office administrative duties which may include correspondence, social media and other presentations, catalog sales, record-keeping, event organization, and office and gallery maintenance, including activating and de-activating electronic equipment for the exhibitions.
• Other duties as needed/assigned.
• Must have a deep interest in art, and/or have a strong education in the arts – from art history, modern culture to literature, preferably on the level of a bachelor’s degree; and are willing to immerse yourself in the Foundation’s exhibitions. 2 or more years of experience in a museum, gallery, or related environment is preferred.
• You are friendly with visitors, and service oriented. You will be part of a small, but close team, where good work ethics and positive attitudes are appreciated.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills. You are kind, but also cool-headed and capable of setting boundaries with guests when needed.
• Excellent organizational abilities and a pro-active approach to following up on tasks.
• Creative problem solver with the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
• Proficiency in the Microsoft suite: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint; Photoshop; general understanding/experience with art databases.
The position is Wednesday, Thursday, Friday ,Sunday, 11:00am to 6:00pm and Saturday 11:00am to 8:00pm. Applicant will occasionally need to work additional hours for events and openings. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Absolutely no calls or walk-ins, please.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter, resume, references, to: Blake@Faurschou.com, Subject: Gallery Administration Assistant.
Faurschou Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Faurschou is firmly committed to equal employment opportunities in all facets of its operations. Faurschou makes decisions concerning hiring and terms and conditions of employment without regard to any characteristic protected by applicable law.