F2F QUESTION TIME
Supporting contemporary artists and curators through project spaces and residencies.
Belinda Holden, managing director of the Yinka Shonibare Foundation
Bringing together different perspectives about residencies, looking at the different models, examples of when and how they work best for organisations and the artist, pitfalls to avoid, what are the tensions – from the funders or board perspective to audience development, demonstrating value?
This first call held on 15 April 2021 included:
Ingrid Schaffner, curator, Chinati Foundation, Yates Norton, curator, DRAF, Christin Pettibone, development director, Fondazione Serpone, Marion Eisele, curator, KAI10 ARTHENA FOUNDATION, Laurens Otto, curator, Museum Dhondt-Dhaenens, Julie Chénot, director, The Camargo Foundation and Belinda Holden, managing director of the Yinka Shonibare Foundation.
Here are the main questions that the group our discussing:
- How do you partner or fund your residencies > what are the issues or programme constraints or freedom around this funding model if any?
- How do you select the recipients for the residency > is it mixed methods? What works best? Have you changed the processes over time based on experience and why?
- Are your residencies an offshoot of your main activities or do they drive and inform them?
- What would you do differently or would encourage others to avoid doing?
- What would be your ideal artist/curator residency, or have you already had some amazing examples? > What made them so fantastic for you as an organisation and the residents themselves? (Perhaps include one of these in your presentation)
Learn more from watching our Member’s Spotlight films from organisations that offer artist residencies:
Don’t forget you can view their contact details via their Art Foundation pages.