ESMoA: ESMoA LAB Residency – Open Call
The ESMoA LAB Residency is designed for emerging artists to partner with ESMoA in response to a theme or topic based on an Experience (our word for exhibition) taking place inside our main gallery. Application to the ESMoA LAB Residency is free and open to artists and writers who live in, work in, and/or have a distinct commitment to Los Angeles County. We are offering an unrestricted stipend of $2,500 to artists and writers to create original artwork, performance, or composition in response to Experience 47: FREESTATE. Applicants are encouraged to propose projects that can be viewed in ESMoA’s street-facing LAB Room as well as be presented virtually for a period of three months from June through August 2021.
The ESMoA team will work with the selected artist in developing the project as it evolves over the planning period, and collaborate on programming to ensure the work reaches its audiences. The project must be designed with a $2,500 budget in mind. ESMoA will provide space for the work to be viewed, project consultation, installation support, marketing, and promotion.
All proposals will be reviewed by a select jury of artists from the Los Angeles-area and the ESMoA team. Learn more about the jury members below the award and application requirements.
Projected Timeline – please note that the timeline is subject to change.
- Application opens Friday, January 15, 2021.
- Application closes Friday, February 12, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
- Jury and ESMoA Team meet to review applications in February 2021.
- The candidate is notified at the end of February/beginning of March 2021.
- Press Release goes out week of March 15, 2021.
- March through May 2021 – Incubation Phase: Planning, conceptual and feedback meetings, release of funds, material needs, etc.
- Late May through early June 2021: Installation Phase
- June through August 2021: Program Phase
Guidelines for Proposals
- Applications may be submitted by an individual based in/ have a demonstrable commitment to Los Angeles County.
- Applications must be submitted online. There is no application fee.
- Proposals must demonstrate an understanding of the Experience theme/topic. Proposals are limited to a maximum one-page description.
- Examples of work are strongly encouraged; include images in a PDF document or web link.
- Label all pages of application with Last Name, First Name on header.
- The panel may request the submission of additional materials at a later date.
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Short statement about your work, and a recent accomplishment and/or upcoming project (300 words max.)
- For artists: 6 work samples (images, media, links) and descriptions in a .pdf document.
- For writers: 8 – 10 page document in .pdf format
- Proposal (1 page max.) – and must demonstrate the personal, community and social impact of the project in .pdf format.
To apply, visit: https://esmoa.org/event/esmoa-lab-residency-open-call/