Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art: Community Arts Assistant
Under the direction of the Senior Manager of Public Programs and Community Engagement, the Community Arts Assistant will support the relationship building strategies between Crystal Bridges Museum and its surrounding communities. This role will primarily focus on developing relations and facilitating community arts programs in Springdale, so a good understanding of this city is important.
This is a part-time position (approximately 25 hours/week) that will last through December 31, 2020. The successful candidate will work collaboratively across museum departments, the Community Engagement team and in our communities.
Main Duties include:
- Project planning for art experiences and events with community members of all ages. This may include coordinating artists working with community groups, ordering art supplies, scheduling venues and rentals, and promoting the program in multiple languages.
- Facilitate collaborative art events and meaningful experiences with groups.
- Assist with planning and facilitation of other community engagement initiatives as directed.
- Under the direction of the Senior Manager, facilitate continued listening sessions with community members. If possible, provide Spanish and/or Marshallese speaking and translation assistance.
- Work closely with the museum’s Communications department on creating written materials including promotional invitations for programs.
- Take notes during community events and share participant feedback to the museum.
- Research and recommend appropriate and innovative ways to increase arts access, inclusion, and collaboration with our region’s communities
Education, Training, and Traits:
- High School diploma
- Enthusiasm about being a member of a team supporting a major art museum with a strong visitor-centered community dynamic
- Ability to understand and maintain the highest levels of confidentiality
- Experience in planning and presenting programs
- Strong community organizing and social networking skills
- Good listening skills
- Excellent writing and organizational skills
- Friendly, welcoming, and positive demeanor
- Mentorship skills
In regard to education and experience, an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience will satisfy the minimum requirements.
- Minimum one year of experience in related employment preferred
- Experience working in community engagement, arts programming, special event planning, community relationship building, museum and/or entertainment programming preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel, Word, Power Point, and Social Media
Licenses and Certifications:
Valid Arkansas driver’s license with clean driving record. Willing and able to travel by car to fulfill responsibilities.
Skills and Abilities:
- Bilingual preferred (Marshallese, Spanish, and English languages)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Supervision and team management skills
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Strong organizational skills and analytical skills
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to accuracy and detail
- Ability to multi-task and think critically
- Ability to work independently, as well as, within a team, with initiative
- Ability and willingness to work weekends and evenings, as required
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: In the work environment described below, position requires ability to communicate with others. Position requires utilizing a computer for prolonged periods of time and good eye/hand coordination. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision.
- Work Environment: Work will be performed in an office environment, and in various locations in the community. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate; the noise level in community locations will vary. Frequent weekend and evening work hours are required.