The Chinati Foundation : Archivist
The Chinati Foundation/La Fundación Chinati is a contemporary art museum in Marfa, Texas, based upon the ideas of its founder, Donald Judd. The specific intention of Chinati is to preserve and present to the public permanent large-scale installations by a select group of artists. The emphasis is on works in which art, architecture, and the surrounding land are inextricably linked.
In 2019, Chinati will launch a major new initiative focused on establishing a formal, well-researched, and well-organized archive. To undertake this initiative, Chinati seeks an experienced Archivist with a demonstrated commitment to preserving historical records, to identify, process, and make accessible to the public Chinati’s institutional and collection archives. Materials include project and administrative files, correspondence, historic fort documentation, photographs, film and audio materials, and various ephemera. This newly created two-year position, fully funded by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, will report to the Director of the museum and supervise a research fellowship.
The two-year, full-time Archivist position will be based at the Chinati Foundation in Marfa, Texas. Occasional travel will be required, including to sites with significant Judd holdings.
• Survey all archive related materials;
• Work collaboratively with senior staff to draft a Mission Statement for the archives, and recommend: processing and description procedures; priority of processing; collecting policy; acquisitions procedures; access and use policy for staff and researchers; policies and procedures for destruction of non-archival records; and guidance on digital asset management;
• Identifies, arranges, processes and re-houses collection materials;
• Targets specific aspects for in-depth research;
• Identifies conservation concerns and performs basic preservation practices;
• Coordinates the physical consolidation of the archives in storage facilities located at Chinati, working with Chinati staff to address current and future facilities’ needs;
• Creates and logs information into database system in keeping with identified content standards;
• Creates appropriate finding aids and provisions for archival access;
• Ensures that Chinati’s archives adhere to professional ethics and best practices and appropriate access and use parameters;
• Provides management and supervision to the Mellon-sponsored research Fellow;
• May be requested to write, present or speak about work activities and project developments; and
• Other duties as assigned.