Center for Italian Modern Art : Registrar
The Center for Italian Modern Art (CIMA), founded in 2013, is a public non-profit exhibition and research center offering one-of-a-kind encounters with rarely seen masterpieces and fostering new scholarship on 20th-century Italian art. Through our annual exhibitions, art history fellowships, and rich calendar of public programming, CIMA aims to illuminate the continuing resonance of Italian art across modern and contemporary culture and to serve as an incubator of curatorial ideas for larger cultural institutions.
We seek a highly motivated and creative Registrar. This is a permanent, full-time position, available immediately.
Registrar oversees all aspects of the physical maintenance of the exhibition objects and CIMA’s facility, and all related documentation. The Registrar develops and refines record keeping systems and documentation for loans and facility, carries out all lender communication and preparation of loan forms, manages insurance coverage, and develops and enforces protocol for storage, transport, and all movement of objects with lenders and shippers. The Registrar manages the care and safety of the annual exhibition objects.
• Prepare and execute loan forms, shipping and receiving receipts, and all other necessary paperwork pertaining to the movement and ownership of works borrowed
• Maintain communications with lenders relating to these records • Assist with the editing and publishing of CIMA’s annual catalogue (in partnership with a graphic designer)
• Manage and ensure proper packing, shipping, and insurance for all artworks entering or exiting the museum including overseeing contracted art handlers
• Oversee preparation of condition reports including managing contracted art conservators
• Monitor art storage, exhibition spaces and overall CIMA space for temperature/humidity, environmental hazards, safety, cleanliness, and ongoing maintenance concerns
• Maintain and regularly update CIMA’s facility report
• Skilled in digital photography, able to work on checklists and other assets as needed
• Primary liaison with art handlers, conservators, art photographers, maintenance vendors, and cleaning staff
• Oversee art and other storage organization
• Maintain order of library
Event Operations and Facility Mgmt
• Supervision of effective day-to-day functioning of CIMA
• Coordination of weekly tours, public programming, and special events (including evening lectures at CIMA)
• Event set up, staffing, and breakdown (A/V systems, occasional catering coordination, familiarity with Facebook Live streaming)
• Arrange any type of travel, accommodations, logistics in the city for visiting speakers/CIMA guests
• Public interaction when CIMA is open to visitors, greeting visitors, informing them about CIMA’s mission, answering any questions about the institution, friendliness is key
• Collaborate with CIMA staff on bookkeeping, VIP events, and other special projects and administrative duties as needed
The Center for Italian Modern Art is a young, dynamic organization with a small staff, where collaboration is greatly valued. Each person here contributes in many different areas, and candidates with other experience, in the fields of development, communications, editorial, or non-profit management, for example, are highly valued. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. CIMA provides health insurance and other benefits, generous vacation days and holidays, and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Work schedule: During the period of the annual exhibition—October to June—twice a month Saturdays are required (the Registrar would work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule those weeks), as well as occasional evening hours depending on CIMA’s events calendar.
– Fluency in Italian language (spoken and written) and English
– MA or equivalent in museum studies, arts administration, art history, or other relevant fields
– At least five years of relevant professional experience
– Broad knowledge of the arts and culture field across the U.S. and Italy
– Detail-oriented, excellent multi-tasker, superb organizational and communications skills
Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references as one single PDF. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The position is available immediately and will be held open until an appropriate candidate is found; eligible candidates will be contacted by email for an interview. No phone calls, please. CIMA is an equal opportunity employer.