The Broad : Retail Associate
Reports to: Director of Retail Operations
Classification: Part-time positions, non-exempt
Date Available: Immediately
About the Position
Our focus in the museum’s shop is on a highly individualized retail experience and on creating a unique, world class shopping destination for locals and out of town visitors alike. As a Retail Associate, you have the opportunity to set the standard for excellence in a museum shopping experience. From curating personal shopping experiences, to sharing knowledge about the collections and architecture, to finding new ways to surprise and delight our visitors every day, you will truly be the face of The Broad.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet and welcome all visitors
- Exhibit enthusiasm for and knowledge of the artists and artwork in the collection
- Effectively determine needs and create a dynamic and engaged experience
- Maintain and grow client relationships and a book of business
- Create in-shop experiences that meet and exceed visitor expectations
- Attain daily, weekly and monthly targets
- Perform all POS related activities to facilitate accurate and efficient transactional flow
- Break down shipments, ticket and organize merchandise
- Replenish floor fixtures daily
- Adhere to all established loss prevention and operational policies and procedures
- Become an expert in the Broad collections, the museum building, and its place in the downtown ecosystem
- Support and enhance The Broad brand
- Enforce security and safety procedures and protocols in all public spaces of the museum
- Complete all required ongoing training, including but not limited to security training, audience engagement and collection training, visitor orientation training and product information training
- Assist with all opening and closing duties required to prepare The Shop for business on a daily basis
Experience and Qualifications
- A passion for people, museums, and contemporary art
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with recognized, successful high-end, high-caliber art and design-focused retail establishment
- Experience in hospitality, retail, attractions, or cultural organizations preferred
- High school diploma required; relevant coursework from an accredited college or university strongly preferred
- Foreign language skills a plus
- Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of ethnic, cultural, and economic backgrounds
- Ability to identify and positively resolve visitor issues in the moment; strong decision making skills necessary
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and special events as necessary
- General knowledge of information technology and business software applications; must be highly proficient using Microsoft Office Suite
- Effective and persuasive communications skills; able to write and speak clearly and present information to a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
Must be able to stand and move around public areas of the museum for extended periods of time (reasonable accommodation will be made for qualified candidates with disabilities).
The museum is open 6 days per week. Retail Associates are expected to work a minimum of 4 days a week and be available to close on at least 3 of the following days: Thursday, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check, which will include criminal reports as well as verifications of employment and educational records. You must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
To apply, visit: https://www.thebroad.org/employment/retail-associate-0