Barnes Foundation: Front-End Web Developer
Front-End Web Developer
Description: The Barnes Foundation is seeking a Front-End Web Developer to assist us as we fully rethink all aspects of visitor facing technology, both onsite and at a distance. As such, you will have the opportunity to help build new and engaging experience for our visitors. We are seeking someone with a breadth of knowledge including best practices in front end coding and web design to bring new platforms and technology to life through various platforms: web, wearables, virtual reality, and more.
Reporting to the Lead Web Developer, the Front-End Web Developer has a focus on UI/UX and will work on an array of projects with high public visibility for a dynamic museum dedicated to welcoming all. You will be responsible for implementation of new features and maintaining our design standards across all digital media, including our website and ticketing site, in-gallery digital interactives, mobile applications, digital signage, and electronic communications.
You’ll be working on a number of new technology initiatives in the pipeline including an in-gallery mobile experience, a project to digitize the Barnes archives, and more experimental projects that involve machine learning and wearable technology. This is a hands-on, junior level role that requires expertise in design implementation and front-end technology. This position reports to the Lead Web Developer and will work closely with the Barnes’ design partner.
This role works remotely during the M-F 9-5 Eastern work schedule. Candidates based out of the Mid-Atlantic region preferred due to the need for very infrequent travel to the Foundation.
We’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Highly qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position.
Who we are:
Established in 1922 as an educational institution, the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more.
The Barnes Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
Skills and Knowledge:
● 2 years’ experience with React. TypeScript familiarity is preferred
● Fundamental understanding of object-oriented programming, including classes, types, interfaces, objects, etc. is required
● Solid understanding of asynchronous request handling using callbacks, promises and await/async, partial page updates, and AJAX
● Experience designing, testing, and resolving cross-browser compatibility issues
● Knowledge of popular services for the automation and simplification of web-hosting tasks (e.g. CDNs, Imgix)
● Good understanding of SEO/accessibility principles and ensuring that applications adhere to them
● Experience with Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager
● Experience with server-side CSS pre-processing platforms (e.g. LESS, SASS)
● Experience with source control management systems (Git preferred)
● Experience working with third-party REST/RPC APIs and API authentication schemes (e.g. OAuth)
● Experience working effectively with remote teams, meeting project deadlines, fully owning and being responsible for assignments, and ability to learn new technology/frameworks as needed
● Excellent communication skills with team members and being a part of a small but impactful team. Ability to articulate complex technology concepts to non-technologists
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; short and long term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time and holidays.
Please include a cover letter and an updated resume with your application, along with salary expectations.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position. Employees have rights under other laws including, but not limited to, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act. We participate in E-Verify.