The Barnes Foundation : Director of Information Technology Operations
Description: The Barnes Foundation is seeking a Director of Information Technology Operations to oversee and manage the day-to-day operations of the Information Technology department. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Director will be responsible for planning and executing the IT functions at the Foundation. The responsibilities of the department include: network infrastructure, a hybrid server and services environment, backup and disaster recovery, data organization and processing, security, and end-user support while maintaining a body of knowledge on all of the above. The Barnes is a fast-paced environment driven by agile practices and human-centered design. We are seeking a candidate who is deeply engaged and expresses an interest across the spectrum of user-facing and back-end technologies to bring the best technology experience possible to our customers and our staff, implementing innovative projects while integrating best practices, emerging technologies, and cost-effective controls.
In this role, you will be working with the Chief Technology Officer to think both strategically and operationally to solve the challenges presented by the IT projects and operations at the Foundation. You will be managing a team of IT specialists and generalists, and working with external vendors to bring projects to completion and maintain services in working order.
We’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Highly qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position.
Established in 1922 as an educational institution, the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionist, post-impressionist, and early modernist art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more.
The Barnes Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
- Manages the daily operations of a hybrid architecture IT environment comprising of AWS and Azure products, and on-prem Windows solutions.
- Develops and improves IT service operations.
- Manages an IT operations staff of four.
- Creates and maintains a body of knowledge regarding technology operations and data.
- Maintains backup and disaster recovery environments with appropriate runbooks for maintaining business continuity, restoration, and disaster recovery, including regular testing.
- Responsible for maintaining security protocols, compliance, and internal audits for systems and data, both at rest and in transit.
- Tracks IT budget against actuals; maintains forecasts; plans 1-, 3-, and 5-year forecasts.
- Provides customer service via helpdesk system using ITSM best practices.
- Maintains and tracks IT capital and operational inventories using ITSM best practices.
- Monitors and deports on department performance.
- Manages relationships with external vendors.
- Provides emergency on-call support nights/weekends, managed with team and vendor support.
- Clearly communicates and translates technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences, both orally and in writing.
- Researches and proposes both new products and best practices to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the IT department.
- Oversees technical projects in alignment with organizational goals.
- Demonstrates the ability to monitor, supervise and hold accountable all employees in the areas of attendance, completion of documentation, ADP, and implementation of all company policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Supervises and meets regularly with all direct reports to review operational metrics and provide ongoing guidance; documents constructive feedback regarding job specific functions, responsibilities, and competencies.
- Maintains written documentation of supervision for oversight and review by other parties as appropriate.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain a stable, productive team environment through effective communication, staff appreciation and, other activities that yield a high level of employee engagement to support and preserve the employee’s interest in working for the Barnes Foundation.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree computer engineering, computer science, management of information systems, or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of eight years’ experience in information technology or a related field, with at least five years in a management role
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to practice contemporary business principles integral to a high-tech organization
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Proven negotiation skills working with vendors and managing vendor contracts
- The ability to exercise strong, independent judgment and discretion is essential
- Experience in an arts and culture organization a plus
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; short and long term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time, and holidays.
Please include a cover letter and an updated resume with your application.