Art in General : Curatorial Internship
Overview: Art in General is looking for an intern to assist in the production and installation of exhibitions, events and publications; conduct research, and assist with the planning of all current and upcoming initiatives. The right match for this position will be a highly motivated, intelligent individual with strong written and oral communication skills, organizational skills, ability to manage time efficiently, and handle several projects simultaneously. A professional phone manner, a sense of humor, and an interest and/or knowledge of contemporary art and its concepts are also important. In exchange for their work interns will gain valuable hands-on experience in a dynamic nonprofit arts environment.
This is an unpaid internship, but can be arranged for school credit. We require at least two days a week for one semester, though we prefer a two-semester commitment. Hours and days are negotiable. Ideally able to commit 12 hours/week or more.
- Strong oral, written, organizational, and inter-personal communications skills
- Ability to manage time efficiently
- Knowledge of contemporary art and its concepts
- Skilled in doing research, creating bibliographies, and writing letters
- Computer proficiency is a must, particularly experience with programs such as: Microsoft Office; Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and Final Cut Pro
- Installation skills (painting, wood construction, A/V experience) a plus
We are looking for individuals that have the interest and ability to work closely with staff and artists on production, and able to negotiate with collaborators, vendors, and other individuals.
- Assist in the daily set up and maintenance of the gallery
- Assist with exhibition installation and production of new work
- Assist in the coordination of special events, such as opening receptions, public programs, performances, film screenings, panel discussions, and tours
- Assist with daily filing, research and correspondence
- Assist with publication related tasks: rights and reproduction, image editing, text and copy edits, and distribution
- Keep press and mailing lists up to date
- Website updates
- Track press and blog coverage of past, current, and upcoming exhibiting artists.
- Assist with social media
- Assist with general institutional visibility and community outreach
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter stating interest, start date and availability.