Aperture Foundation: The Paris Photo–Aperture Foundation PhotoBook Award
Initiated in November 2012 by Aperture Foundation and Paris Photo, the Paris Photo–Aperture Foundation PhotoBook Awards celebrate the photobook’s contribution to the evolving narrative of photography, with three major categories: First PhotoBook, PhotoBook of the Year, and Photography Catalogue of the Year. In this unprecedented year, it is all the more critical to be able to highlight excellence in book making and the creative output of the global photobook community. We look forward to sharing the shortlisted books in exhibition and in an expanded online presentation — and to announcing the winners in November.
The First PhotoBook Prize
A $10,000 prize will be awarded to the photographer(s)/artist(s) whose first finished, publicly available photobook is judged to be the best of the year. Twenty books from this category will be selected for the shortlist, presented to the Jury for the final selection and exhibited during Paris Photo.
The PhotoBook of the Year Prize
This prize will be awarded to the photographer(s)/artist(s), and publisher responsible, for the photobook judged to be the best of the year. Ten books from this category will be selected for the shortlist, presented to the Jury for the final selection and exhibited during Paris Photo.
The Photography Catalogue of the Year Prize Awarded to the publication, publisher, and/or organizing institution responsible for the exhibition catalogue or museum publication judged to be the best of the year. Five books from this category will be selected for the shortlist, presented to the Jury for the final selection and exhibited during Paris Photo.
The shortlisted books, accompanied by the jury’s comments, will be featured in the fall 2021 edition of The PhotoBook Review issue 020 (published by Aperture Foundation), to be released at Paris Photo and mailed to Aperture magazine subscribers. Additional content and features for the shortlisted books will appear on aperture.org.
Each year, the thirty-five shortlisted books are exhibited around the world, ensuring maximum exposure for all titles, including the winners in each category.
In past years, venues have included Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, New York; Flash Forward Festival, Boston, Massachusetts; Copenhagen Photo Festival, Denmark; Photo Ireland, Dublin; Backlight Photo Festival, Tampere, Finland; FotoFocus, Cincinnati, Ohio; IMA Concept Store, Tokyo, Japan; Photobook Melbourne Festival, Melbourne, Australia; Huis Marseille, Amsterdam, Netherlands; Self Publish Riga, Riga Photomonth, Latvia; Fotofestiwal, Lodz, Poland; Look3 Festival of the Photograph, Charlottesville, Virginia; and Landskrona Foto Festival, Landskrona, Sweden
How to Enter:
- Generate your submission form via the contest page
- Complete payment
- Send one copy of each submitted photobook with your submission form(s) to Aperture Foundation’s offices in New York by September 10, 2021
You will need to provide the following information for each book submitted:
- Book title, year of publication, and publisher information
- A short description / summary of the book and why it’s being submitted to that particular category
- The photographer or author’s name, as well as the designer and editor’s names
- Book dimensions, number of pages, the edition number or print run
- A short description of where the book is sold
- An image or render of the book cover (JPG file)
Shipping your book(s):
All books must be received before September 10, 2021. Please note, this year all books should be mailed to Aperture Foundation’s office in New York City. This date does not include postmark. All entries must be physically received by this date and there will be no refunds if the books are not delivered on time. Books should be sent to:
ATTN: PhotoBook Awards
548 W 28th Street, Floor 4
New York, NY 10001
Please note, books must arrive with their submission form to Aperture Foundation by September 10, 2021. You can print out your submission form on Picter. Detailed instructions to print the submission form here.
- First PhotoBook: $30 per book
- PhotoBook of the Year: $60 for first entry from a given publisher, $30 for each subsequent entry from the same publisher
- Photography Catalogue of the Year: $60 for first entry from a given publisher, $30 for each subsequent entry from the same publisher
From June 1 to July 15, 2021: Early Bird Special
- First PhotoBook: $20 per project
- PhotoBook of the Year: $50 for first project from a given publisher, $20 for each subsequent project from the same publisher
- Photography Catalogue of the Year: $50 for first project from a given publisher, $20 for each subsequent project from the same publisher
By submitting your work to the Paris Photo-Aperture Foundation PhotoBook Awards, you are found to be in agreement of the terms and conditions. Click here to read the terms and conditions.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://contests.picter.com/2021-paris-photoaperture-foundation-photobook-awards/