Aperture Foundation: Publicist
Aperture is seeking a full-time publicist to provide communications and event support to the Communications Director.
• Draft press releases and media alerts for events, publications, exhibitions, and special projects
• Pitch media as part of project publicity campaigns
• Oversee collection and production of media assets per project: images, press image selections, book PDFs, and other material Manage daily press inquiries and material and interview requests
• Cultivate ongoing working relationships with key media outlets (print, television, radio, and online)
• Maintain media database and e-mail lists
• Communicate major press hits via email. Maintain archive of all press hits
• Support staff and handle administrative duties associated with the scheduling and coordinating of events, from the pre-planning stages to post-event follow-up
• Manage and update internal master events calendar
• Will include weekend and evening hours when necessary
• Train and supervise communications work scholar
• Attend weekly programming meeting. Attend weekly online marketing meeting
• Post-secondary degree preferred
• Minimum three years of publicity experience in arts organizations and/or publishers
• Passion for photography
• Detail-oriented, with an ability to multitask and remain well-organized under deadline pressure
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work in team environment, with all levels of staff and press
• Willingness and ability to pitch projects cold to new contacts, in writing and in person
Please send a resume and a thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard about this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the following conventions:
Subject line: Publicist
Cover Letter and Resume: yourfirstname_yourlastname_publicist.pdf
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE. Only applicants who meet our requirements for this position will be contacted.
Aperture offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also has generous vacation, sick leave, and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, and a stimulating and collegial work environment. Aperture seeks to build a diverse and inclusive workforce and welcomes all applications, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, cultural background, disability, age, or religion. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
Aperture, a not-for-profit organization, connects the photo community and its audiences with the most inspiring work, the sharpest ideas, and with each other—in print, in person, and online. Founded in 1952 by esteemed photographers and writers, and based in New York City, Aperture is a leading force in the rapidly evolving world of photography, with an international program of publications, exhibitions, public programs, and educational initiatives serving more than one million individuals each year. More information about Aperture can be found at aperture.org.