The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum : Per Diem Educator
The Aldrich is looking for highly motivated, energetic, per diem art and museum education professionals to be responsible for leading in-gallery tours, hands-on workshops, and other programs for students, families, and adults. Per Diem Educator applicants will be required to complete paid training sessions (extent of training to be determined based on experience of applicant) with the Education staff that focus on inquiry-based learning, tour and teaching techniques specific to contemporary art, and group management. After successful completion of the training, Per Diem Educators must have a flexible schedule that will permit them to lead school and/or adult tours during the week and on the occasional weekend.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Participating in program and lesson plan development as needed
• Coordinating the set-up, required documentation and administration, and breakdown of assigned programs
• Leading tours, discussions, and inquiry-based programs in the Museum galleries for various groups
• Leading hands-on workshops for school, family, and other groups
• Attending exhibition training and professional development sessions as required
Successful applicants will be available no less than two days per week and will have:
• BA/BFA in art, art history, art education, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in related fields
• Some knowledge of contemporary art
• Museum education, arts education, or classroom teaching experience
• An understanding of object- and inquiry-based teaching practices
• Experience working with youth, families, schools, and adults
• Strong organizational, communication, and administrative experience
Please send a current resume or CV and a thoughtful cover letter, providing detailed information on your academic and professional experience, along with contact information for three references.
Please include a brief description of a sample 45-minute lesson or hands-on art-making workshop, for students in grades 3 to 5 OR 7 to 10, engaging the work of a a current Aldrich exhibiting artist. If you specialize in teaching a specific age group other than the two options listed above, please indicate that age group and submit materials aligned with that age group. Please include an age appropriate introduction to the artist’s work and a materials list, if applicable. Information about exhibiting artists can be found at aldrichart.org/exhibitions.
The Aldrich accepts applications on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.